Media for the appetite: Movies, books, games, etc

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Media for the appetite: Movies, books, games, etc

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LordofDecay LordofDecay 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Erin
    Erin
    Participant

Have you read books, seen movies, or experienced anything else you may suggest to others in Tension?

Of the top of my head;

Movies
    • The Game
    • The Institute
    • Conspiracy
    • Suicide Circle
    Books
    • The Trial
    • House of Leaves
    • Foucault’s Pendulum
    Games
    • The Stone

Profile photo of PuppetGirl
    PuppetGirl
    Participant

Yes I recently rewatched The Institute the other day because of The Tension Experience.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Lmao the game is literally all of us, every time I tell others about this whole thing I always get the same response:
    “Huh… So like, you’re Michael Douglas from the game??” Haha

Profile photo of Addison Born
    Addison Born
    Participant

The Witness is a great puzzle game, certain elements in both puzzles and the way the narrative is presented remind me of Tension and other “experiences.”

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

Love the witness! Such a great game!

Profile photo of Erin
      Erin
      Participant

I hadn’t seen The Witness, reminds me of Myst games.

Profile photo of Jake O
    Jake O
    Participant

The Invitation (in theaters and on demand now)
    The Conspiracy (Netflix instant)
    The Sacrament
    Rosemary’s Baby

I really enjoyed Dark City, which has certain aspects that remind me of Tension

Profile photo of PuppetGirl
    PuppetGirl
    Participant

If you haven’t tried a live Escape Game yet I can’t recommend them highly enough. There are some great ones in the Los Angeles area: The Basement, Crossroads, Wizards & Wires, Lunar Station, Enigma, The Virus to name a few. In San Diego a few good ones I’ve played are Steal & Escape, Houdini, Escape Game SD Japanese thriller room, and divergent realities.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

As far as docs, I definitely recommend Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles

Profile photo of Erin
    Erin
    Participant

The anime Baccano has a creepy society among the light hearted acts.

Profile photo of Iris Halliwell
    Iris Halliwell
    Participant

I REALLY want to try a live escape game, I’ve been aching to give it a shot for months. I’ve heard the options in LA are a scream. House of Leaves is brilliant and I’d recommend it to anyone. I’d recommend Godel, Escher, Bach (it’s a single book title) for anyone with a logician type brain. Also I don’t know if any of you have played The Room, as in the video game, and The Room 2, but they were both quite enjoyable for me. Might be a bit quick for some of our puzzle masters, but they’d still get a rush from completion. Any more suggestions on logic puzzle type video games are greatly appreciated, I’m a *little* obsessed.

Profile photo of LordofDecay
      LordofDecay
      Participant

http://www.keeptalkinggame.com

Check out this game! It’s about one person diffusing a bomb, but without instructions to defuse it and other players (called Experts) who can’t see the bomb, but do have instructions to defuse it. You must work and communicate effectively to stop the bomb from exploding

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I really need try an escape room here soon. I am not for the extreme, physical experiences but I could do that.

LordofDecay
      Participant

I would highly recommend going to one, especially if you can get a group of friends to go. I’d invite you to the one I work at but I’m gonna guess you don’t live in the upper Midwest lol

Profile photo of Chris424
    Chris424
    Participant

Do you happen to have any more movie recommendations that are similar to tension?

LordofDecay
    Participant

A couple things that I enjoy that might be of interest:

A) http://www.scp-wiki.net/ – Some interesting ‘short stories” about the containment protocols used by a secret organization that secure, contain, and protect us from a wild variety of bizarre objects, creatures, and places. (This ones my personal favorite)

B) https://www.mysteriouspackage.com/ – This company sends you puzzles, riddles, and objects that from a story over time, the story normally ends with some kind of trinket or item that you can show off to your friends. (Warning, these package can get kinda spendy and I have heard doubts about their quality)

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

SCP for the win! Also try SCP Containment Breach if you like games.

Also I highly reccomend Yume Nikki, go in blind, play late at night and explore…

LordofDecay
      Participant

I do have the game and enjoy it greatly. I’ll have to look into the other one you mentioned

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register