Phone Call 7/20 — Walk Away

Tension brand Forums INTERACTIONS WITH THE OOA Phone Call 7/20 — Walk Away

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Kasch Andrew Kasch 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Juliet R
    Juliet R
    Participant

Hello. I am a journalist and I was approached by a PR firm regarding the Tension Experience early this week. I responded positively to the PR person and received a phone call today.

The call came from a blocked number, and the man on the other end indicated that he represented the OOA and though I had been approached about writing a story, I should not proceed. He instructed me to walk away, and noted that if I exposed them, they would ‘expose’ me.

Now, I’m not the sort of writer to walk away from a scoop, so I guess we’ll just have to proceed! Perhaps I could interview one of you.

There’s certainly no shortage of people who are willing to be interviewed.

I am a little curious though… Did you join Tension 3 months ago but only just get approached by a PR firm a week ago?

Have you worked with this PR firm before? Have you ever heard of them?

Profile photo of Mustafa Said
    Mustafa Said
    Participant

I would be fine netting interviewed. You can PM me if you want.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow interesting! I’m not in LA so I don’t think I’m your average participant but I’d be happy to help if I can. The LA folks have definitely been to more live events though.

So you were contacted by a PR firm…to do what? Cover the experience for something?

Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

Where will your story be shown?

Profile photo of Michael Rizzo
    Michael Rizzo
    Participant

@jbrylah Was the firm PlanB PR? They were part of tension just for a bit so it’d be interesting if they came back and contacted you.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I’m sure anyone here that’s an active participant would speak to you, but would that be a risk you’d be willing to take based on the call?

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

I kinda like your “pfft, go ahead and expose me” attitude!

Where will this article be posted?

Juliet R
    Participant

The firm was not Plan B. It was a different one. I joined Tension a while ago as a spectator, but I believe their PR firm contacted my outlet (LAist) because of articles I have written in the past about such topics as escape rooms, haunts and immersive theatre. At least, that’s what their message indicated. So, in that regard, Tension would have already had access to my phone number from when I joined the forum a while ago. I did receive an ambiguous call from them several weeks ago, but nothing else until today. It appears their tone has changed now that they are identifying me as a writer, not an inductee.

I think we’re fine with the risks. For now. I think an ideal time to publish would be mid-August. Anyone who is interested in talking about their experiences in spite of this threat can email me at juliet@laist.com. That’s my work email.

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

*Admiral Ackbar impression alert*

It’s a trap…

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

I agree, I think almost everyone here would be willing to speak with you about their experiences. It’s interesting they don’t want a story written.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I wonder if you’ll get another call from someone representing the BoS…and having that person tell you to expose them

Juliet R
    Participant

I am but a servant of public information.

Usually people just want me to expose their neighbors for letting their dogs poop in their yard, so really, this it’d be a great break in pacing for me.

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

Hmm @jbrylah, I did some googling and you do check out… Tension teaches you to be wary… I guess you’ll get plenty of volunteers, and there’s heaps of information on here if you’re willing to do the work, but for my part, if they don’t endorse it, then I’m afraid I’m not gonna get on board. Good luck!

Juliet R
    Participant

No worries, Blondie. This seems to be my role in all of it, but I think it’s good if some of us don’t attempt to anger them. Just in case.

Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

Funny how the invited Blumhouse to do an article but yet they have a problem with this one being published? Something doesn’t add up, what do they think will be uncovered?

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

It seems to me that Tension have built up a relationship with Blumhouse and so trust them to promote their message as they wish it to be promoted. Anything else is an unknown quantity and as such cannot be trusted… Or maybe they’re just pushing Juliet’s buttons, like they enjoy pushing all of ours. Giving her a bit of the *real* experience 😉

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

Never trust anyone without a profile pic 😛

Juliet R
    Participant

I received a second call from a woman. She seemed frantic. I could hardly hear anything she said because I was at a busy intersection in Silver Lake. She said that it was too late for me because I had already filled out OOA’s questionnaire.
    This morning, I received another email from the PR firm, completely oblivious to all that has been going on. Or so they seem.

Profile photo of Cody
      Cody
      Participant

What was the content of the e-mail?

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Most likely nothing important.

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant
    Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

Sooo many thoughts going through my head!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

I can’t help but wonder if these consequences will tie into the events of tomorrow….

Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
    Andrew Kasch
    Participant

Fantastic article, Juliet. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register