Realistic Conflict Theory

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Realistic Conflict Theory

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cody Cody 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I randomly came across this today. It’s called the “Realistic Conflict Theory”. This is copied from the wiki on it

“Realistic conflict theory (initialized RCT), also known as realistic group conflict theory (initialized RGCT), is a social psychological model of intergroup conflict. The theory explains how intergroup hostility can arise as a result of conflicting goals and competition over limited resources, and it also offers an explanation for the feelings of prejudice and discrimination toward the outgroup that accompany the intergroup hostility. Groups may be in competition for a real or perceived scarcity of resources such as money, political power, military protection, or social status. Feelings of resentment can arise in the situation that the groups see the competition over resources as having a zero-sums fate, in which only one group is the winner (obtained the needed or wanted resources) and the other loses (unable to obtain the limited resource due to the “winning” group achieving the limited resource first). The length and severity of the conflict is based upon the perceived value and shortage of the given resource. According to RCT, positive relations can only be restored if superordinate goals are in place.”

It’s an interesting read when you’re reading it after being involved here. “Limited resources” could mean event invites, phone calls, etc and the “hostility” can happen because one person gets something that another doesn’t. Pretty interesting to read and I feel like it’s a good thing to keep in the back of your mind so we don’t fall into it once we get deeper into this.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Overseer Overseer.
    Profile photo of Trevor
    Trevor
    Participant

It also fits in nicely with some of the original ~4 rants about social media. Nice find!

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

@sabaki12 Good point – it never ceases to shock me how willing some people are to attack others publicly in this day of social media exchanges. Basic good manners apply in any venue! Haha!

@mike Thanks for this. I can directly apply it to a Home Owner’s Association I have had to deal with in the past. The incredible amount of hostility that was traded between some individuals was truly disturbing… usually over the perception of who was “more powerful” or more “in control.” Your find definitely is interesting food for thought!

I admit being perplexed by some of the exchanges I have seen here and the suspicions thrown around, etc. In my outlook, if one person gets a call or an interaction and is able to share with others some of the details, then the community learns and grows and should celebrate the experience. If certain details are withheld, then that is a choice the person has a right to make. (I have made that choice a couple of times when references have been made to very specific things in my life that have crept into the vision of the OOA. A reference to something I have done in the past, or a prediction for the direction of my _path, perhaps? I am not trying to “play” anybody… it’s just me trying to find my way in this community. Wow… does that all sound a bit “new age”? Well, it’s just me being sincere.)

Profile photo of Cody
    Cody
    Participant

*swaggers into thread with head held shamefully*
    Apologies to the entire community for my reactions the other day.
    I am quite impulsive. I have not thought about anything I wrote here. I just type as it comes and post.
    I will try harder to reflect more before responding to things.
    That Is a good read Mike. We shouldn’t be completing though. I never had that mentality.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register