Sandwich question

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Sandwich question

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lucus Lucus 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

No! Just no…lol!

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

I asked Tom and he’s been using the term “tube meat” for ten minutes now. And his conclusion is no.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Susie J Susie J.
      Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

Mmm tube meat! Lol

Profile photo of 111_error
    111_error
    Participant

A sandwich is a filling between two pieces of bread.

A burger is a sandwich.

A hot dog is also, clearly, a sandwich.

Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

Tom’s argument is that the bun is actually a bisected but connected piece of bread. It has to be one piece of bread and a tube meat to not be a sandwich. See taco, burrito, gyro, pita…

Profile photo of 111_error
      111_error
      Participant

What happens if I take one piece of bread, add sandwich condiments and fold the bread over.. isn’t that half a sandwich?

Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I had a feeling this came from you…

No, a hot dog is not a sandwich.

“Yes, the classic American meal-on-the-go is wrapped in bread, smeared with condiments and eaten as a patriotic alternative to, say, a hamburger.

But a hot dog is not a sandwich, according to an official press release from the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.

According to the council, “Our verdict is…a hot dog is an exclamation of joy, a food, a verb describing one ‘showing off’ and even an emoji. It is truly a category unto its own.”

“Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy.’ Perhaps at one time its importance could be limited by forcing it into a larger sandwich category (no disrespect to Reubens and others), but that time has passed,” NHDSC president and ‘Queen of Wien’ Janet Riley says in the release. (Yes, “Queen of Wien” is a thing, apparently.)

“We therefore choose to take a cue from a great performer and declare our namesake be a ‘hot dog formerly known as a sandwich,'” she continues.”

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/07/a-hot-dog-is-not-a-sandwich/75362898/

Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I love that you found this. I love it so much! 😃

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

In my opinion, the general acceptance of sandwich attributes usually include stack-ability of ingredients as an overall theme. Therefore, burgers can be considered sandwich as can variations such as po’boys (Am I right, @kasch?) and even open-faced entries into the conversations usually contain items on top of each other.

So, very interesting stuff @electrichippo. Personally, I consider the stack issue a supportive factor in the article you bring to the table. Devouring its content made me crave a simple statement of yes or no but I find it interesting the Council made such a meal of the issue.

@mkarrett, I consider the hot dog NOT a sandwich but feel it can definitely be considered “sandwich adjacent” in the menu of life.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Rusty Rusty.
    Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

What happens when you run out of hotdogs buns and wrap the wien in a piece of bread? Does it then become an open faced sandwich?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register