Scary movies

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Scary movies

This topic contains 92 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yes The S Yes The S 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

So, I’m taking a punt here but figure some of you out there might be horror flick fans πŸ˜‰ Any suggestions? I love the genre and have seen a tonne but nothing has truly scared me yet, so please share the film(s) that scared you the most!

Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

Hmmmm…I guess for the most part the ones that stay with me are movies that are disturbing, I don’t necessarily enjoy them in a “boo!” kind of quality but they sure end up disgusting me and messing up with my head for about a week. I guess that part I enjoy, them making me think.

Examples:

Serbian film
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/combined?mode=desktop

And

Pig:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637712/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

Haven’t seen either of those. I will add them to my list. Thanks Ale! :-)

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

No prob! Any favorites you have?

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I think the Japanese do horror so well, I love the Ring trilogy (the American remakes are dreadful tho). Peeping Tom is a fantastic film from 1960. And the original Nosferatu – but I consider that a love story rather than horror.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

A Serbian Film is more psychological mind fuckery than anything else to me. I like to show that during my infamous “FUMN” (fucked up movie night). I have an amazin picture of @reaton from the first time he saw it.

More movies I love are Inside and also Martyrs (the original).

Then if you want truly disturbing and fucked up, check out the Japanese Guinea Pig series, especially Flowes of the Flesh and Blood and also the August Underground Trilogy

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

Haha! Oh boy, do share

Profile photo of Mike
      Mike
      Participant

haha that’s up to @reaton if he wants to πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I was just about to mention Martyrs in response to Ale’s question about my favourites!

Profile photo of Rusty
      Rusty
      Participant

It is out there in the webiverse anyway and sometimes comes back to haunt me, so why not? πŸ˜‰

View post on imgur.com

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

Truly disturbed lol

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

haha! This is a classic pic especially when you know what scene he is watching

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Jake O Jake O.
      Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I have a guess of which scene this is, but it could be so many…

Profile photo of Ezi
      Ezi
      Participant

A Serbian Film has been on my list for a while (I now have a few more to add to the list from this thread). I think now would be a good time to actually watch it!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Also, The Poughkeepsie Tapes if you can find it. It was never released on dvd, but it’s one of my favorite movies and has one of the most creepiest scenes…Here’s a gif of part of it to ruin your day πŸ˜€

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

Awesome!

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

Oh my word! That. Looks. Awesome.

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

I seem to have found a good link online for it. I’ll let you know what my reaction was!

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

Ale has very kindly shared the link with me… So I think we photograph our reactions? What do you think @aleocotillo? I’m gonna watch it before I go to work tomorrow evening… This may be the best or worst idea I’ve had in some time…

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

Hahah! Sounds like a plan!

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

I finished watching in it, and while it didn’t scare me it definetly intrigued me. I love horror that it is not about anything supernatural but rather about something that can totally happen.

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

One film that I discovered in the last year that really freaked me out is “Angst.” Very well made and incredibly sad and brutal.

A trailer is here…

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

I agree with Russell on this! This is definitely one of those not for everyone movies. A lost gem of fucked up shit here.

But also an amazing achievement in cinematography.

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

I’ll have to watch this one next!

Profile photo of Jake O
    Jake O
    Participant

Some of my favorites, most of these are probably pretty obvious but you can’t mess with the best!

The Thing (JC)
    Halloween (OG)
    The Shining
    Session 9
    Onibaba
    Cabinet if Dr. Calgari
    Nosferatu
    Inside
    Martyrs (OG)
    Dead Alive
    Reanimator
    Texas Chainsaw (OG of course)
    Eraserhead
    Night of the Living Dead (OG)
    Dawn of the Dead (OG)
    Don’t Look Now
    Possession

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I first saw Don’t Look Now when I was about 11 years old. The scariest bit was the Christie/Sutherland sex scene… *shudders*

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

What?! You don’t want to see Donald Sutherland having sex?

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

They just made it look so… uncomfortable… And complicated.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

haha, it’s definitely not what you picture in your head when you think of romance!

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I understand the context and backstory now of course, but back then all I thought was “if that is what sex is like, I am *never* doing it. Ever.” And then there was some crazy blind lady, Julie Christie fainting a lot and a gnome in a red coat so I was thoroughly confused. Love it now though!

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

yeah, it’s definitely a movie you can’t fully understand until you’re a bit older.

Profile photo of Rusty
      Rusty
      Participant

Wait…. @blondiecamps
      Sex isn’t supposed to be uncomfortable and complicated? OOPS. I may be doing something wrong………. O_o

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

Hah! Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I mean, what kind of fool questions Donald Sutherland?

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

I also have a guilty pleasure which is a film called Dark Corners starring Thora Birch… part of me knows it is trash, but it’s kinda awesome at the same time…

Profile photo of creepsociety
      creepsociety
      Participant

When you try to throw out cool movies but @mike says them all πŸ™„ πŸ˜‚

My fav guilty pleasure films are hausu and repo the genetic opera :)

Profile photo of TheBuz
    TheBuz
    Participant

Huge horror fan here!

Essentials:

Evil Dead,
    Evil Dead II,
    Army of Darkness
    Day of the Dead (My fav of the Dead trilogy)
    Tremors
    Pumpkinhead
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
    The Fog
    Prince of Darkness
    The Serpeant and the Rainbow
    Alligator
    THEM! (50’s giant insect movie that is fantastic!)
    The Blob 88
    Alien and Aliens (and Alien 3 assembly cut)
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Suicide Club
    Pirahana (Orig and Remake are great)
    The Descent
    Se7en
    American Werewolf in London
    Dog Soldiers

And Jaws.. Because everyone should watch Jaws as its the best movie ever made.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

How could I forget the evil deads on my list? I suck

Profile photo of Mike
      Mike
      Participant

A Tale of Two Sisters is great! Do you know which version is the “correct” version? I bought it a long time ago and the subs made no sense at all. Last I checked, there were 3 different versions or so. Each version had different/better subs.

Man, we could get into a whole other thread with Asian horror..Audition, Battle Royale, The Eye, Evil Dead Trap, I Saw The Devil, Ichi the Killer, Junk…etc etc

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

@kasch is an expert in Asian horror. It’s his speciality when we play horror trivia.

I’m not sure on the correct version. I have the first American DVD release of it and it made sense when I watched it.

Also THE HOST! Fantastic film.

Battle Royale is one of my all time favorites. Also the vengence trilogy. Sympathy for Vengence, Oldboy, and Lady Vengence. Incredible movies.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THIS. Dumplings, Three Extremes and Visitor Q all deserve a mention, Visitor Q especially (in my top ten fav films of all time, along with Battle Royale).

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

There are actually a few on your list @thebuz that I haven’t seen, so thank you! I love the Alien films, the first one got pretty close to scaring me which is an achievement. There’s only one film that has actually terrified me and it’s not even really a horror film…

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Which was it?

And which ones have you not seen? I’ll narrow it down to scariest to least scariest.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

2001: A Space Odyssey… SCARIEST. FILM. EVER…

Ok, the ones I’m 100% sure I haven’t seen are Pumpkinhead, The Serpeant and the Rainbow, Suicide Club and Pirahana.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Oh. My. GOD.

Someone else thinks 2001 is the scariest movie ever??!!!

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Pumpkin is one of the best monster movies ever made that no one has seen. Seriously it’s sooo good. Directed by the late great Stan Winston who is the special effects wizard behind Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Jurassic Park… Etc.

Serpeant and the Rainbow is a lesser known Wes Craven film that is sure to give you the heebie jeebies. Deals with voodoo and being buried alive.

Suicide Club is one of the weirdest most brutal Japanese movies I’ve ever seen. And I still can’t tell you wtf it’s about but it’s great.

Pirahana is just fun. Original is one of Joe Dante’s first movies and the remake is just absolute gratutious violence that it’s entertaining as hell.

Profile photo of AndroGenius
      AndroGenius
      Participant

Prince of darkness and Rosemary’s baby are definitely at the top of my list! Also, the serpent and the rainbow,unrated/uncut exorcist,the fourth kind, any of the Asian horror movies(sorry if that’s racist, they just do a really good job), all of the human centipede movies (horrifying!), silent hill(the game will ruin you)…I’ll be back to list more later.

Profile photo of _Michael Gray
    _Michael Gray
    Participant

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this, but one of my all time favorites is “In The Mouth Of Madness.” So many Lovecraft overtones and truly a creepy film with a twist.

Here is a list of my go to:

The Thing
    Seven
    IT
    The Cube
    Hellraiser
    Evil Dead
    Tales From The Crypt (tv series, sorry)
    Poltergeist
    and many more…

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

This is from Jason since he won’t get on the forum…

You want fucked up. ReGOREgitated Sacrifice. Mic Drop!!!

Back to me…I haven’t actually seen this so I dunno. A lot of ones I like are in there but I would like to add It Follows. I’ll be back when I think of something else.

Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I just realized I should explain that Jason is my fiancΓ©. I keep him up to date with Tension. πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

Speaking of dogs in horror films, I finally saw Cujo a couple of weeks ago; I just kept thinking how damn cute that St. Bernard is, he failed at looking mean. I watched Pet Cemetery when I was very young, I loved it but scared the crap out of me. I’ll have to watch it again.

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

I think we have lost the original thread question of films that “scared us the most” and it has just turned into an awesome list of “have you seen THIS?” Which, I am all in favor of!!!!!!

@thebuz That 50’s ant flick THEM! is one of my earliest memories of being thrilled to watch horror… It was like a gateway drug for me. Nice call!!!

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

I got a big poster of THEM! in my office. One of my absolute favorites. And the sound still scares me.

And yeah I got excited about Scary movies in general and just went for it.

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

There’s an awesome British film by one of my favourite directors (Shane Meadows) called Dead Man’s Shoes. It’s a horror movie from an unusual perspective… honestly, it is just one of the best films ever made so you should all watch it :-)

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

I just realized what movie I was forgetting last night. The Pet Sematary scared me and it still gives me some of those feelings when I think about it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa. Reason: Sematary! It's Sematary!
      Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I cannot believe I put The before Pet Sematary! Someone feel free to slap me. I deserve it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa. Reason: Omg Amie it's Sematary
      Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Sometimes… Dead is betta.

Profile photo of prufrock5150
    prufrock5150
    Participant

This one pops out as an often-overlooked and inimitably weird one: The ABCs of Death (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935896/). It’s a collaboration with 26 filmmakers, and it ranges from hilarious to disturbing (with a domain of hilariously disturbing)…

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

Well, today before work I watched both The Poughkeepsie Tapes and Pig…

Profile photo of Mike
      Mike
      Participant

Go onnnnnnn

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

It feels wrong to say I *loved* The Poughkeepsie Tapes, but I really did. I thought it was well-crafted and intriguing and believable. It didn’t scare me, but then I think I’m unscare-able…

And Pig was certainly interesting – I kept thinking “I’ll turn this off in a minute, it’s kind of ridiculous” but I ended up watching all the way to the end and then I was like “whaaaaat?!”

So all in all, a good way to start my day :-)

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

I am in the middle of Poughkeepsie!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

I’m going to kick it off with some streaming episodic series I really dug: Stranger Things, Darknet (Netflix, Canadian horror series with a truly awesome pilot), Dead set (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7Kuud2Dgg , BBC zombie mini series set in the world of reality TV, all eps in this link)

Some Horror Film Favs:
    All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (While not perfect, 2 scenes from this truly deeply disturbed and terrified me)
    The Orphanage (This scared the hell out of me)
    Halloween
    It Follows
    Green Room
    Scream
    The Babadook
    The Descent
    The Invitation
    Friday the 13th
    Drag Me to Hell
    The Thing (Original)
    Let the Right One In (Original)
    It the Clown
    The Woman in Black (BBC Original)
    Sleepaway Camp
    Dawn of the Dead
    28 Days Later
    We Are Still Here
    The Final Girls
    Cabin in The Woods

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I ended up having a conversation with a customer in work today and he mentioned both The Babadook (which I enjoyed) and It Follows (which I didn’t).

Let the Right One In is awesome. The American remake is not :-)

I think I watched Dead Set when it was first aired on TV. Is that the one that begins in the Big Brother TV show?

Ugh, IT! “Anybody wanna balloon?” No, freaky clown, I do not! I’ve heard they’re remaking it…

And finally, The Invitation is on Netflix at the mo so I’ll watch it tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations @mariawc

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I watched The Invitation yesterday. It was really good. Is that considered a horror movie?
      I fell asleep during Let the Right one In.

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

I’m calling the Invitation horror, but you’re right @coryphella it might just be a thriller/suspense?
    I certainly lept at one point, but I’m getting a bit broad in my definitions perhaps. I just couldn’t resist adding it, especially considering the forum.

@blondiecamps Dead Set was the big brother one, those zombies were really well done. And how do they top the original It? I saw the teaser poster, but I can’t help but go back to the OG.

Also The Shining really got to me, what a great movie.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Well, no, don’t listen to me. I’ve already proven that I actually know nothing about horror.
      I just read through all the movies listed here and there are a whole bunch I never would have called “horror.” I used to work at Blockbuster. I would have shelved them in Drama or Action.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

@coryphella I guess anything that is designed to instil fear can be called horror? Mind you, I only find Outer Space and Artificial Intelligence scary so I’m not a great judge either…

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Well, I was so excited when you said 2001 was the scariest movie ever. I saw it when I was 14 and had nightmares for years. My dad was SO MAD he ever showed it to me.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I was in my mid-twenties when I first watched it (I dunno how I missed it before- I did a degree in film ffs) and I cried like a baby… Had a similar reaction when I saw Gravity recently…

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

I still haven’t seen Gravity, in what genre would you put it in?

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

Sci-Fi I guess… But there’s adventure and drama in there too.

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

@Coryphella ugh… I hated blockbuster for their mislabeling of genres. JAWS IS A HORROR MOVIE GODDAMMIT.

I worked at Hollywood Video and prided myself on the organization I kept my store in in terms of video genre and selection. Kept that shit neat and tidy.

Also @blondiecamps another great underrated horror film is STIR OF ECHOES. Highly recommend.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

@thebuz Kevin Bacon and a ghost girl? I’m sold!

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

@thebuz – Can I classify the new Ghostbusters as a horror movie? Tywin Lannister denying me tenure has got to be my worst nightmare.

(I really loved the movie otherwise.)

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

I have watched The Shining so many times I know all the words off by heart – people usually manage a maximum of 15 minutes of watching it with me before they try to smother me with a cushion…

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

@blondiecamps How’d you like The invitation?

Also I still gotta push for episode 1 of darknet on netflix. It’s true horror, you could bounce around since with the exception of the finale each episode stands alone, and is really an excellent scare.

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

@mariawc I enjoyed it! It was a bit jumpy and weird and I always rate the whole cult thing… so yeah, thumbs up! I’ll start darknet tomorrow :-)

AndroGenius
      Participant

Visit the actual Darknet website for added brownie points! Solve the puzzles!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

Hooray! Let me know how you like it!

Profile photo of alisa918
    alisa918
    Participant

I thought the insidious movies were super scary.

old school ones like beast within, humanoids from the deep, and all those 80s movies that mixed sex and horror. seems like that was the thing!

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

@alisa918 First off, welcome and thank you for choosing this thread as your first place to post!

I know plenty of people who find the Insidious movies scary, and I *really* wanted to, but sadly, I didn’t. Gotta love a mix of sex and horror, I once did a paper on the psychoanalysis of slasher movies and it’s aaaalll about sexuality.

What did people think of The Purge?

alisa918
      Participant

@blondie Thank you for that very warm welcome!!

yeah, I have some friends that weren’t as scared by insidious, but it’s probably the first movie where I felt like the movie was actually like a haunted house attraction!

re: Purge, it didn’t do it for me..i think maybe supernatural movies hit a nerve (for me) more than typical slasher/home invasion. to each their own!

oh, and would love to read that paper you wrote…the subject fascinates me.

thanks again for the welcome!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

Purge for me didn’t really provide scares but was really fascinating as an idea. I feel like the most interesting imagery was basically the B-Roll of the maniacs running through the city in those masks. Maybe I just didn’t care enough about the main family in the first film to get really engaged.
    I did go to the 2 Blumhouse haunts based on the movies (Purge and Purge 2 Breakout) and they were really well done, as far as establishing a world and an aesthetic.
    What did you think @blondiecamps?

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

Grave Encounters worked wonders for me one dark night.

The Houses October Built has an intriguing idea but drags a bit.

alisa918
    Participant

just saw “lights out,” OMG totally scary – but mostly the jump scare kind…not the kind that sticks with you.

Profile photo of Chris424
    Chris424
    Participant

My favorites are:
    Evil dead 1 and 2
    Army of darkness
    The thing
    All the alien movies
    Predator
    The invitation
    Houses october built
    House of 1000 corpses
    Devils rejects
    Lords of salem
    πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Chris424
    Chris424
    Participant

Oh yea…. and event horizon

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

EVENT HORIZON! YES! Terrifies me in the same way as 2001…

AndroGenius
    Participant

Watch ‘Stranger Things’ on Netflix and thank me later! Not a movie, it’s a series but it freaking PWNS!!!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

I completely forgot about Ti West’s stuff.
    You’re Next I found absolutely brilliant and The Sacrament was a pretty good crazy cult meets Vice News flick.

AndroGenius
    Participant

IT! by far the scariest most effed up movie and/or book…in the history of mankind! I still get freaked out walking past sewer grates as a grown woman. #Pennywise

Profile photo of Freedom's Flame
    Freedom’s Flame
    Participant

I often get bored with horror movies, they’re far too predictable. I do have a soft spot for classic B-list slasher movies, though- excessive gore never stops being funny. While not horror, I would like to throw Black Mirror in here. It’s less the content itself that is disturbing, it’s the implications that it leaves. Back on the horror front, I put forth Ju-On, which was much scarier than its American release as The Grudge, and Event Horizon.

Profile photo of Yes The S
    Yes The S
    Participant

I’m a fan of more of the style over gore horror kind of movies such as Seven or The Hunger that appeal to my love of set and costume design (theater tech nerd here) as much as the need to be shocked and thrilled. I have been getting more into HP Lovecraft recently and I’d LOVE to find some movies based on his works, which seem frustratingly few and far between.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register