Tension Sanctioned Puzzle Hunt (now-July 20th)

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Tension Sanctioned Puzzle Hunt (now-July 20th)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 30 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cody Cody 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

The video says it all, have fun!

LA-ish people that want to play, sign up, get started.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
    Profile photo of 111_error
    111_error
    Participant

o____0

I SEE CLUES IN THIS VIDEO

Someone closer go do the things and report back!!!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

((grin))

Have fun!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

This will be the only global advice I’ll give on forum: it may be wise to bring notebook and pencil/pen and none of the clues/puzzles will be inside a business.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
    Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

Yes! Us outsiders need to live through you locals! I’m excited to see how everyone does!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@mkarrett- Please don’t feel bad about not being able to include everyone!

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

When this is done I’ll have probably a walk-through where I include all puzzles/ciphers so out of towners can see what I did here. That way you guys can sorta participate afterwards? IDK, trying to think of a way to have all included and learn something.

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

Also, thank you @coryphella!

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

No problem. We all have limitations, and those of us especially far away know that we can’t participate in everything. :)

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Anybody made any progress?

Profile photo of prufrock5150
      prufrock5150
      Participant

I think so – I’ll find out on Tuesday, when @nosnevets and I sally forth to where we think we’re supposed to go…

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

I like it, have fun and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I did, but I’m not there. :)

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

Great idea @mkarrett! I may start this evening and will report back any non-spoilery progress I make between now and the 20th.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of MariaWC MariaWC.
    Profile photo of Michael Rizzo
    Michael Rizzo
    Participant

I’m three clues/spots in.

It’s lit

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

Nice! Sounds like you’ll finish this before times is up!

Profile photo of Addison Born
    Addison Born
    Participant

Agh, the one week I’m out of town!! This looks awesome, thank you for setting it up! Can’t wait to read the walkthrough :)

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

Non-Spoiler-y Progress Report 1

After reviewing the video, there was 1 clue I initially couldn’t pin down. I was pretty stuck on one idea, so dead set that was it seemed hopeless.
    It was 1 am.
    You’d think maybe I’d just sleep on it, try a different angle in the morning.
    But I decided to wing it and go with what I had. After all it was 1 am. The traffic at that hour is non-existent practically.
    This was obviously a brilliant move, in the vein of taking a job at that creepy lakeside summer camp where all those teens died, splitting up from the group to find Brittani in a the weird old McCready Mansion, or not heeding the warning of a well meaning but slightly demented old man.
    So there I was, groping around in the dark, half expecting someone to confront me on my general weirdness, but then I remembered this is LA and you just acknowledge the general weirdness as part of the city and walk on.
    After about 30 minutes I went home. It would have been more depressing if the traffic wasn’t so god damned amazing (We love to talk traffic here guys. It’s probably our biggest flaw).
    I dropped a line to our puzzle creator and when I woke, it was like Tension Christmas morning, since her hint made it all make sense.
    I hit the road around 7:45 and had located the first clue by 8:30.
    I felt victorious and *think* I have it solved.
    I’m going for Clue #2 tomorrow in the AM, in case any of you are also on that one.

Did I spy one of you looking for the first clue this morning? You were a brunette woman in sunglasses mulling around… or maybe the paranoia is already setting in.

I’ll report more as I go but so far I’m having a blast.

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

Hehehe! Your report made me smile, I’m glad you’re enjoying the adventure as much as I made this for you guys. Speaking of….hopefully there will be more participants? I highly recommend starting today because if you’re waiting to do it all tomorrow you *might* be cutting it short, it all depends on your skill level.

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

Non Spoiler-y Progress Report 2 & 3

I generally find I’m the great equalizer in a number of situations.
    In the airport, I’m almost always double screened. I think it’s because I don’t look particularly threatening at all, and that’s the point.
    TSA likes to pull me aside like,”HEY, if we’re double checking her, we’ll double check ANYONE.”
    So maybe that makes me a teensy bit more prepared to answer weird probing questions. Which is why while I was on the hunt for clue 2 & 3, I had my excuses prepared if any onlookers approached me.
    “These Pokemon aren’t going to catch themselves, officer!”
    “I’m here to take selfies!”
    “Look over there! C List Celebrities!” (runs to the Prius)
    Obviously none of these alibis were needed.
    These plants were placed thoughtfully, stealthily, and in such good spots that I was so off the radar of the public, I didn’t even have to use one of these. I almost hollered to passing people “I’M HERE TO BE TOTALLY NORMAL LIKE YOU! JOGGING! CALISTHENICS! OUTDOORS!”
    However, I will say our puzzle master pulls no punches. You actually have to solve each of these, so try as I might to thwart the system, I had to use my brain/googling/reading power to solve these and while they weren’t all that easy (unless you’re a puzzle wizard like @rizzzoooooo), they were rewarding to complete and gave me a more full idea of what tension is offering.
    I even used a library computer for this, next to an angry typist who I suspect has never met a keyboard he didn’t pummel with each keystroke for all to hear. Ah, culture!
    I feel pretty positive the majority of you could start this and finish it within a day for sure, and see some rad LA sights.
    I encourage anyone able to go out and try and complete these puzzles. Who knows where you’ll find yourself by the end, but I guarantee, you’ll feel pretty damn blissful about it.
    Glory Be!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

When the sun sets today, the hunt is over! Not too late to participate!

Profile photo of Rusty
      Rusty
      Participant

Thank you so much, @mkarrett
      Alas, work will prevent me from participating but kudos to you on the creation and sharing of all this!!! Awesome!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

First I want to congratulate @prufrock5150, @mariawc, and @nosnevets for completing. Quick walk-through as promised:

1.) The introduction video had GPS coordinates to Donut Friend (the donut pic was there to confirm that yes, you got the GPS right). The morse translated to “look under the newspaper rack”.
    2.) I forgot to include this in the introduction video but I hinted on this thread that all clues/puzzles will not be in a business.
    3.) There’s a newspaper rack outside of Donut Friend.

View post on imgur.com

All you had to do was look under and you’d find a magnetic geocache. This cache had a QR code which leads you to the first puzzle which is mostly Tension trivia.

4.) There’s a rot-13 cipher in the title that translates to “PASADENA”. If you filled in all the trivia, the red letters spell out “under suicide bridge” which was the next location. The numbers was a simple numbers-to-letters “cipher” that translates to “GOOGLE MAP SEARCH ONE TWO SEVEN SOUTH ARROYO BLVD, SEARCH THE CAUTION SIGN INSIDE AND OUT”. So if you did just that you’d see a caution sign in the street view, basically that was my major hint where to look next.

5.) The magnetic cache was inside the caution sign.

View post on imgur.com

Inside the tin was a QR code which lead you to this link which again is more Tension trivia.

6.) Had you solved the trivia you would have immediately found that the letters don’t make a word, it’s a jumble. The jumble is “BEARDED LADY”. In Burbank, there’s a vintage/oddities store called “Bearded Lady”. The rot13 at the very bottom of the jumble said “ODDITIES & RARITIES SIGN, LOOK FOR MAGNETIC TIN. YOU’RE ALMOST DONE WITH THE HUNT!”

7.) The Oddities and Rarities sign is outside the shop, behind the sign and at the bottom was the last tin. *Yes, I got Kiki’s permission to plant the cache*

View post on imgur.com

8.) The QR code lead you to this link.

9.) It’s a substitution cipher or a cryptogram, my personal favorite. If solved you would know to meet me at Villains Tavern on 7.20.16 between 5:30-8:00pm to receive your prize.

10.) The prize was a bag of personalized candy that I purchased not long ago, they say GLORY BE. (some of them were supposed to have the BOS logo but there was a communication fail between me and the candy shop, oops)

View post on imgur.com

Fin.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

Wow! Really cool! @mkarrett I wish I had had the time to partake.

You really chose some cool places!

Damn this looks awesome! You’re making me jealous of all the people who live in LA who were a part of this!

Profile photo of 111_error
      111_error
      Participant

What @thegilded said, with bells on. This was amazing.

Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I’m jealous! Nice job Melissa, it looks like it would have been awesome to do!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Ya I nearly did it during ScareLA but I figured people were going to be busy. Thanks for the support! :)

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

So awesome! Congrats on such a successful thing!

Profile photo of MariaWC
    MariaWC
    Participant

It was a blast! thanks so much @mkarrett!

Profile photo of Cody
    Cody
    Participant

Im sad I missed out on this.
    I had way to much on the burner to be able to make the deadline.
    Props to you for all of your hard work on this.
    Thank you for sharing the details on the hunt!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register