Survey Request – Bettering our recruitment methods

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC Survey Request – Bettering our recruitment methods

This topic contains 36 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michelle Michelle 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Fellow Disciples,

As you all know, Registration only lasts for another month and a half, which means that we have a limited amount of time to recruit more initiates and disciples.

I’ve seen so many suggestions and methods to do so, but we have valuable information right here, amongst each other. I have arranged a few questions below that I request you answer. If we can find out what brought us here, we can tailor a solution to bring others here, as well.

I am not the OOA, and thus will not ask the same type of questions they will, and you have no obligation to answer. This is simply a request so that our next step in bringing others into the Light will be an effective one.

-Freeform. Please answer as you see fit-
    1. Where are you located?
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience?
    3. When did you join our community?
    4. What do you like most about this Experience?

-Multiple choice. Please select the answer most applicable-
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc)
    a. Creator – I run/write for/submit content for a horror publication
    b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a daily / near daily basis
    c. Light – I sometimes consume horror publications
    d. None – I do not consume horror publications

5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite Horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience?
    a. Greatly – An endorsement would have been enough to get me to sign up / check out the site
    b. Some – My interest would have increased, but it would depend on the ad
    c. None – Advertisements would have had no effect on me

6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience?
    a. Endorsement by publication I trust
    b. Conversation with a stranger involved in Tension who would answer questions in person (think person handing out fliers or booth at a fair, etc)
    c. Intriguing flyer
    d. Cryptic Facebook/Twitter/etc post that showed up on my wall
    e. Comprehensive post on Reddit/Unfiction/etc
    f. None of these options would have interested me

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of Sean (@TheGilded) Sean (@TheGilded). Reason: linebreaks to increase readability
    Profile photo of Diem
    Diem
    Participant

1. Where am I located? New York
    2. How did I hear about The Tension Experience? Through a family member living in LA.
    3. When did I join the community? A month ago
    4. What do I like most about this Experience? I like the mystery and the hope that grows every day to find the answers to my lighted path. I also enjoy a challenge.
    5. How much do I consume Horror publications? a) Creator- I write in the horror genre and b) I consume horror publications on a daily basis.
    5a. How likely would an ad on my favorite Horror publication have sparked my interest in something like The Tension Experience? b) Some – it would depend on the ad
    6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark my interest in The Tension Experience? b) A conversation, as that is what happened.

Profile photo of SadGrey
      SadGrey
      Participant

1. Where are you located? Pasadena, CA
      2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Bloody-Disgusting.com
      3. When did you join our community? 5/5/16
      4. What do you like most about this Experience? Puzzles are fun. Digging the spooky atmosphere of the unknown. Some cool world-building going on here, too.
      5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc)b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a daily / near daily basis
      6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience? d. Cryptic Facebook/Twitter/etc post that showed up on my wall

Hiya all!
      SG

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Los Angeles, CA
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? A friend who had an experience before any of us
    3. When did you join our community? Early February
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? Everything! The unknown, the puzzles, the friends I’m making, the team work, the nerding out, what this leads to, etc

5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc) Facebook, podcasts, websites, Instagram, Twitter
    a. Creator – I run/write for/submit content for a horror publication – I, along with @reaton run the MyHauntLife.com site, Facebook, Twitter, and podcast
    b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a daily / near daily basis – I consume it all the time!

5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite Horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience?
    c. None – Advertisements would have had no effect on me – I have Adblocker installed. It would have to be a blog post or talked about on a podcast or recommended to me by someone

6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience?
    a. Endorsement by publication I trust – It would depend on the way they endorsed it. If they talked about personal experiences, then yes, if they just said “this is cool and happening” then probably not.

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

Highland, CA
    On FB through the feeds of My friends.
    Late Feb, early March.
    So far, the new friends I’ve made.

5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc)

a. Greatly – An endorsement would have been enough to get me to sign up / check out the site

b. Conversation with a stranger involved in Tension who would answer questions in person (think person handing out fliers or booth at a fair, etc) CAVEAT: I follow up with googling said event and take the temperature of the horror community also.

1. Where are you located? South Orange County, California

2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Online forum

3. When did you join our community? I began following Tension activities from early February

4. What do you like most about this Experience? The mystery, the puzzles, the “storyline,” the people I’ve met

Somewhere between moderate to extensive. I’m a big fan of the genre.

Some – My interest would have increased, but it would depend on the ad

or

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Lompoc, Ca (Few hours north of LA)
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Saw someone following it on Instagram and looked it up.
    3. When did you join our community? Signed up April 1st after I tried for a few days…
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I enjoy the puzzles and community but I’m most looking forward to what will come! Also, the effort that has been put into this so far, with no compensation from anyone.

5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc) I think I range between b & c depending on my time.

5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite Horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience? That’s hard to say, I searched this out off of the name only just to see what it was about.

6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience? I’d be inclined if I met someone in person but I live in Lompoc!

Profile photo of Peter Morton
    Peter Morton
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Los Angeles
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Through a website Dread Central
    3. When did you join our community? Beginning of March
    4. What do you like most about this
    Experience? I like to be kept in edge and I love the mystery and unravelling of a plot.
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, A

5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite Horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience? B

6. Which of the following would have been most likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience? A

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

I found the article about Andrew Kasch’s experience somewhere. It might have been through an ARG community.

April 6 I think.

I like the potential it’s showing and the community of people it’s brought together. I love that it involves real world interactions as well as virtual ones.

Profile photo of Jake O
    Jake O
    Participant

2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? From a friend, before it started
    3. When did you join our community? Right when the forums opened
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I like it so far, but the live event (consult) was really what made me the most excited. hopefully there’s more of that coming!
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications
    b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a daily basis

Profile photo of DtheZombie
    DtheZombie
    Participant

1. Indiana
    2. Reddit /r/ARG
    3. April 1
    4. The community, the mystery, the sense of belonging

5. If this includes webforums and such then A but I watch more movies and read more stories than I read horror review magazines, websites, etc

5a. b.

6. e. b/c I’m on those sites more, but all would intrigue me

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of DtheZombie DtheZombie.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of DtheZombie DtheZombie.
    Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Freeform. Please answer as you see fit-
    1. Where are you located? North Hollywood
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? WAIH
    3. When did you join our community? About a month ago,maybe a little bit over a month.
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? The feeling of insecurity and paranoia.also the ability to follow your _path while getting to make new friends along the way and help guide eachother,

b. Conversation with a stranger involved in Tension who would answer questions in person (think person handing out fliers or booth at a fair, etc)
    AND

Did i miss anything?? Glory be the Light.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of David David.
    Profile photo of Erin
    Erin
    Participant

1. Where are you located? San Diego, CA
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Google, looking up Jejune Institute/Latitude Society
    3. When did you join our community? February? Before the forums opened
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? Mystery presented, story to unfold

c. Intriguing flyer
    ***All of the above

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Van Nuys, CA
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? From a friend… not sure, but I think one of the very first people ever contacted
    3. When did you join our community? Early February, then joined Forums when they opened
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? The live interactions have been the most interesting thing, by far. More of an emotional impact for me than anything else. Although the puzzles have been fun, I am more interested in emotional content such as the few personalized encounters and messages I have received. That is where the mystery and fun are being created for me.

5. How much do you consume Horror publications?
    a. Creator – I write for/submit content for a horror website and podcast – I, along with @mike run the MyHauntLife.com site, Facebook, Twitter, and podcast
    b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a near daily basis (sometimes affected by long work hours, but consume it whenever possible!)

c. None – Advertisements have very little effect on me, I am much more swayed by personal recommendation or coverage of an event from a website or publication I am familiar with already. Mainly, personal recommendation.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of Rusty Rusty.
    Profile photo of Mary Pavlovsky
    Mary Pavlovsky
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Granada Hills
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Word of Mouth
    3. When did you join our community? End of March
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? Its conceptual brilliance and the impending personal exchanges. I have yet to have the privilege.

Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
    Andrew Kasch
    Participant

1. Where are you located? – North Hollywood
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? – The OOA sent me a cryptic e-mail leading me to the website.
    3. When did you join our community? – As soon as the forums launched
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? – The constant interactivity
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc) – b. Extensive – I consume horror publications on a daily / near daily basis

c. None – Advertisements would have had no effect on me

@kasch: You should get credit where credit is due! You’re experience in horror is much more than limited to “consumer.” You have an impressive list of horror credits! Director, Producer, Editor… Too many titles/credits to list per IMDB 😀

Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
      Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Thanks, Kimberly. But we are all equals here. :)

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

Howdy, Party People!

I volunteered to catalogue the survey data and here’s what we have so far:

To date we had 14 subjects. Of them, we have 7 denizens of the immediate Los Angeles area, 2 within convenient driving distance of LA, 2 in the less than convenient range of driving distance and 3 from out of state.

5 subjects heard of Tension from person to person communication (family, friend, acquaintance), 8 from online/social media and 1 from direct OOA invite.

4 joined the community in February, 7 in March and 3 in April.

Of the various favorite aspects of this experience friends/community was mentioned most frequently (8), mystery (6), challenge/puzzles & narrative tied (4), interactions & ultimate outcome/event tied (3), ARG elements & complexity/involvement (while being free thus far) tied (2) & finally one mention of the paranoia and insecurity this inspired.

For horror media consumption we have 2 creators, 3 creator/extensive consumers, 3 extensive consumers, 2 moderate consumers, 2 light consumers and 2 who abstain.

Of those who utilize horror publications/media 4 would be greatly interested in an experience such as this from an ad on their favorite horror news vehicle. 3 would be somewhat influenced (with an additional 2 depending on the ad). 3 would not be influenced whatsoever.

And finally, 3 of us would succumb to an endorsement of Tension from a trusted publication. 4 would check it out after a convo with a stranger. 1 would seek out Tension from a comprehensive post on Reddit or some such. 1 would take action from A or E, 1 for A or D, 2 for B & D, 1 for E (but all options were found to be interesting) and 1 answered all of the above.

So that’s the data as it stands. How would you spread the Word?

Profile photo of debzies
    debzies
    Participant

Late to the game.

-Whittier, CA.
    -Through Mike.
    -Seems like it was day 1.
    -I liked the puzzles and mysteriousness of it all. I liked how it seemed to be so personalized, and the attention Tension seemed to deliver. The consultation was amazing. The copious amount of e-mail correspondence, phone calls,etc. Left me wanting more. Currently, my journey seems stagnant minus a couple of puzzles here and there. Hoping it will change.

Profile photo of Anna
    Anna
    Participant

1. Where are you located? South Bay area of L.A. County.
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? I heard about it through @kasch on Facebook.
    3. When did you join our community? I think I joined the party a day or two before the consultations–and just barely called in time to get an appointment.
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I like the mystery surrounding it and the community of horror fans it seems to be gathering. :)

I’ve contributed as a writer for HorrorBUZZ and iHorror.
    Yep. Daily sounds about right.

and/or

Profile photo of thecatnipper
    thecatnipper
    Participant

. Where are you located? inland Empire
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? my cousin
    3. When did you join our community? a week ago
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? problem solving
    d
    d
    @kingkill33 you should fill this out

Profile photo of _Michael Gray
    _Michael Gray
    Participant

@thecatnipper Thanks for the tag, I totally thought I had done this already. My bad… Ok so here we go.

1. Where am I located? North Hollywood
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? I saw a post on reddit about a new scary game that was happening in LA. /r/losangeles
    3. When did you join our community? I joined mid March.
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I enjoy the community aspect of it and the making of new friends. I also very much enjoy the cryptic puzzles.
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications? B. Extensively. I read multiple horror websites and horror film related articles daily.
    5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience? B. Some. My interest would have piqued, but it depends on how the ad was targeted for and marketed as.
    6. Which of the following would have been likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience? A. Endorsement by publication I trust. I read tons of articles throughout the day and would probably be more curious if I read about it, than if I saw an ad or got a recommendation from a friend.

All I can say is I’m glad and humbled to be a part of this community and wish everyone well on their _path. Glory Be.

Profile photo of CharlieD
    CharlieD
    Participant

1. Where am I located? Hollywood
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? A friend of a friend.
    3. When did you join our community? I joined mid April.
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I like the close knit community and not knowing what to expect.
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications? B. Extensively.
    5a. If you answered A-C on question 5, how likely would an ad on your favorite horror publication have sparked your interest in something like The Tension Experience? B. Some. I would have to suss it out for myself.
    6. Which of the following would have been likely to spark your interest in The Tension Experience? A. Endorsement by publication I trust. Blumhouse’s article by Andrew Kasch kind of sealed the deal for me.

I want to see the true light.

Profile photo of Nosnevets
    Nosnevets
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Pasadena, CA

2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? A post on the r/ARG subreddit led me to this site when it ust had one puzzle that ended in you signing your email up for newsletters.

3. When did you join our community? Officially sent the questionnaire April 5th. Been getting emails since February 8th.

4. What do you like most about this Experience? The cryptic puzzles and video.

Long time lurker, feeling the need to be more social in my activity. I’m Derek and I’m a filmmaker out here in LA.

Profile photo of explodingtulips
    explodingtulips
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Currently in Missouri, will be in Utah for the summer, then in Georgia for an extended period of time
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Reddit’s r/ARG subreddit
    3. When did you join our community? almost a week ago
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? the sense of community and mysterious atmosphere
    5. How much do you consume Horror publications C. Light – I sometimes consume horror publications

Been lurking around and trying to become more active here. I’m an aspiring singer.

Profile photo of Addison Born
    Addison Born
    Participant

Somehow I think I missed this thead!
    Basic background about me, I’m a producer at an ad agency in LA. I spend a lot of time thinking about the production aspects of immersive experiences, haunts, theater, and through these, ways to push the boundaries of media through interactive experiences.

Los Angeles

I honestly don’t remember. I think Facebook or Twitter? I was somehow linked to We Are Indie Horror, based on my browser history.

March 11, 2016

I’m still not sure. I like immersive theater, so I’m looking forward to participating in an in-person event.

I would be more swayed by an article about it, not so much an ad.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of Addison Born Addison Born. Reason: formatting
    Profile photo of creepsociety
    creepsociety
    Participant

No clue how I missed this but hello! :)

1. Where are you located? El Paso, TX
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Via Suggested page on FB
    3. When did you join our community? I’ve been a lurker for awhile and finally signed up.
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? I love all of the different communications, other people, and clues.

both a&b! I run a horror podcast (el paso horror society) and I consume way too much creepy stuff daily.

c. Intriguing flyer

I like all of the above but I would probably say a cryptic post is the best way to catch my attention.

Profile photo of PuppetGirl
    PuppetGirl
    Participant

1. Los Angeles
    2. Friends
    3. Before registration
    4. The mystery
    5. I write a blog that reviews haunts & escape rooms. http://www.thehauntgirl.com I get more involved around convention times and the haunt season in consuming horror publications. I do try to keep up on Blum house and other horror focused production companies.
    I would’ve checked it out from an ad if I thought I could participate.
    6. A, b, c or d (I just discovered Reddit last week)

Profile photo of LordofDecay
    LordofDecay
    Participant

1. Where are you located? – North Dakota
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? – Through reddit (r/Horror)
    3. When did you join our community? – One week and one day ago
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? – The mystery!

Analysis continues. For completeness sake, I’ve received 5 PM’s. The summary of them are as follows:

-All are within 1.5 hours of LA
    -They found Tension through either My Haunt Life podcast, Facebook posts, and the Blumhouse article
    -They like the community, the mystery, and the unconventional nature of the whole experience
    -Publication consumption ranges from none to often. No creators responded to me via PM
    -Opinions on ads on publications were polarized. Some said that it would be the primary way that they likely would have gotten involved in Tension. Others said it would have not effect
    -Those that said it would have no effect all answered that they’d prefer seeing either a curious FB/Twitter post by a friend or having a conversation with a stranger about it

Profile photo of Jessica
    Jessica
    Participant

1. Where are you located? northern california
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? a random google search led me to an article about the tension experience
    3. When did you join our community? yesterday

4. What do you like most about this Experience? my mind is spinning and trying to take everything in. i’m enjoying the mystery.

b. Conversation with a stranger involved in Tension who would answer questions in person (think person handing out fliers or booth at a fair, etc), or
    c. Intriguing flyer, because these sound the most exciting and fun

Profile photo of Bobglob
    Bobglob
    Participant

2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Some very cool posts on Facebook
    3. When did you join our community? About a month ago but it’s taking me a while to understand what is going on. I still don’t.
    It’s so incredibly unique and I don’t know what’s going to happen next. It’s not theater, it’s not a haunt (yet), it’s not an ARG. I don’t really know what it is.

5. How much do you consume Horror publications (podcasts, newsletters, blogs, etc) b

Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

Well so much for a day off with The Tension Experience, guess I`m going out roughnecking. Hope I can turn this off now. LOL
    1.Alberta, Canada
    2.Found this on unfiction forums while searching for the start of a new ARG
    3.I joined in the middle of march
    4. Watching the evolution of the experience from interactions of participants and characters on the forums
    5. I dont consume any horror publications
    6.talking to strangers and cryptic messages I find to be the best.

Profile photo of Dlimer
    Dlimer
    Participant

Amarillo Texas

from a friend

this week

the mystery

a. I am actually a poet and have some aspects of horror in it as well as I am currently writing movie scripts.

b. would completely depend on the ad

b. Conversation with a stranger involved in Tension who would answer questions in person (think person handing out fliers or booth at a fair, etc) some cons would be a great place with a booth that has a blocked area where questions could be asked and answered like that of a crystal ball reader.

Profile photo of Chris424
    Chris424
    Participant

1. Where are you located? Richmond va
    2. How did you hear about The Tension Experience? Through a friend
    3. When did you join our community? May 28th
    4. What do you like most about this Experience? The storyline and the puzzles

Profile photo of Michelle
    Michelle
    Participant

A little late to answering this but here I go..

1. Located in Murrieta, CA

2. I found out about Tension because they followed me on Instagram. I follow a lot of haunt/horror type accounts and am assuming that’s how they found me. But, what was weird is that I have two accounts, one “personal” and one that bookish (I’m a book geek). I think what caught my eye was they followed me on both at first.

3. I joined the first week of May.

4. I love that it requires working with others and building a community. It’s good for someone like me where the people I know think that my obsession with haunts/immersive theater and such is odd.

5. B. Extensive. I’m obsessed with looking for new “haunts” and love the horror genre in general.

5a. A. greatly

6. Conversations with a stranger, cryptic Facebook post or intriguing flyer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register