Tension Communication 101 – What to say and where to say it – A Discussion

Tension brand Forums MISC TENSION DISCUSSION Tension Communication 101 – What to say and where to say it – A Discussion

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

This is a thread to discuss modes and methods for communicating storyline information. Items up for discussion are included but not limited to: The usefulness of secrets versus full disclosure, and balancing story progression with perceived need to withhold information as a game strategy.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa. Reason: Moving the boxes!
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

As a new participant in this experience, all the secret keeping is annoying and frustrating. I know this site/forum are monitored by those creating the experience, but is there a place where we can discuss this stuff freely without the fear of punishment for betraying secrets? Our biggest asset is our ability to work together. Hive mind.

I checked the subreddit, but it looks like it’s been ghost towned over a month ago.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Totally get where you’re coming from, but the forums are the best place to talk about all of this :) Trust us on that one 😉

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

I can understand the frustration @jeromy but I can only speak on my behalf and I say this kindly:

In my particular defense tossing out the “Ellis turned his/her head because of Rizzo” is not exactly helpful information. If anything, that alone (I have idea what others know) would just stir the pot and kinda gossipy. Again though, I can understand your perspective.

@jeromy This is an extremely complicated topic that has caused much grief and upheaval in the past. Tension’s official stance seems to be: Post info, theories, ideas on the forum, not in “back alleys.” I abide by this as best I can, but it often does not feel like a smart choice for me. My personal strategy has become to know who I trust with certain information, and approach them privately outside the forum. Then again, I’m not OOA, and I feel no requirement to share anything with anyone here, especially if it could interfere with BoS’s strategies. In a way, due to affiliation, I play a different game than most of the rest of you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@mkarrett – Thank you for your kind understanding.

I’m just trying to get my head around all this. Constantly bumping into fellow participants withholding information that may or may not help the community at large or the unknown challenges that face us feels counter-intuitive to us making progress.

This experience will not last forever. Time is precious, and our greatest asset is working together. Doing that with as much info as possible would really help.

Again though – I’m new, and I often realize I’m wrong after the fact.

This post serves as a good response to @mike too.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@electrichippo Aren’t outside of the forum private exchange the most secret of back alleys?

I understand that everyone is taking sides. I get that you’ve aligned with BoS (how did you do that, why and why does the OOA let you still have an account here if you are their enemy??).

I just don’t see how the secret keeping is conducive to anything but some sort of power retention and clarity disrupter.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.

@jeromy Yes, those would be considered “back alleys,” but as I tried to explain, I’m in a different boat than most of the rest of you. I’m sort of in a self imposed exile where the info I’m given is often explained to me as secret from the OOA, or not to be publicized on the forum. It’s all in the nature of strategy and staying true to BoS as something akin to a warring faction, so I get it and understand, although sometimes I do need someone to bounce ideas off, and will enter a BoS back alley to do so. I figure eventually what I know will always become public domain, sometimes it just takes patience and right place/right time before I can get to that point.

I’m a big proponent of sharing information. I do feel it’s a disservice to Tension as well as the other players when we are kept in the dark on things such as phone calls, coded messages, in-person contacts, basically anything that is content created to further the story. Sometimes info can’t be revealed immediately but hopefully eventually all data will see the light of day.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I get it @electrichippo. I do.

I just want to know all the things right now. I want to plug in and immediately become informed and useful. It’s unrealistic, but it’s the way I am.

I’m still curious why OOA lets you on the forum and where these back channels of information exist between you and BoS.

@Jeromy You’re inquisitive. I like that and I completely understand.

Back channels for communicating with BoS as well as OOA characters would include: emails, phone calls, Tension website PMs, and Facebook Messenger. With BoS my primary mode of communicating with BoS representatives is via Facebook messenger. As far as communicating with other players, many of us have formed more real world based friendships so we reach out as any regular friends would :)

Off topic but I don’t want to disregard your other questions: As far as how and why I joined BoS, I believe that is largely common knowledge… I didn’t like what I was seeing. It didn’t feel right. It wasn’t a good fit. I persistently pursued an alternative. I denounced OOA quite publicly in early May. I’m not at liberty to discuss why I was allowed back on the forum or how that was negotiated. I can say it was Aleister Gordon who reached out and invited me back. There were no stipulations or limitations placed on my forum re-instatement. I follow the same rules as everyone else. As far as how one goes about aligning with BoS. That’s something we’d have to discuss privately. Regardless of what the apostles might have you believe, there are most definitely BoS allies within the OOA.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

awesome! Thanks for the thorough explanation @electrichippo. Deeply appreciated.

Profile photo of 111_error
    111_error
    Participant

Some people have secrets they are specifically told to keep. Other people have secrets that they’re nervous and unsure whether they are supposed to reveal.

The nervousness these situations create is part of the experience.

Everyone is encouraged to share their theories here and to reveal whatever they feel they should, but friends talking quietly to other friends and seeking advice first is also a direct result of nervousness. Whenever some important information isn’t revealed, there seem to be back up plans that ensure everyone knows what’s happening, so I don’t think you need worry about someone hoarding the keys to the safe,so to speak.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@111error – What are we nervous about? Why share you’re keeping something secret at all of you’re just gonna keep it secret? I’m not as worried that someone’s hoarding secrets as I am that it just wastes precious time and the OOA has to work to get that info out another way (taking more time).

What is the value of this nervousness? and this isn’t rhetorical. There are only so many reasons why an experience would be designed to make its participants nervous, and I think all of them are connected to the OOA holding power.

Sitting in a room of people all waiting to see what the appropriate information to share is akin to … lemme think… I got nothing… it’s annoying. Especially as I’m trying to get a full picture to what has gone on, who the sides are and how I can plug in.

/rant

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Phew! Boxes moved and put this very important discussion (@jeromy very sorry for the delay, I got a little tied up with stuff!) into a dedicated thread. Carry on! :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

NOTE- I was saying the above within the boundaries of the experience. Pressing people keeping secrets to get that information out.

Reading my posts in this thread, I can absolutely see how it didn’t look that way.

Outside of those “In Game” boundaries, where we discuss things (if the powers that be want those Out of Game discussions on this forum) is up to whoever is running the show.

I get the feeling there is no off limits for The Tension Experience, and that’s a pretty cool choice in my opinion.

** waves at The Tension Experience **

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

My general rule of thumb: if I’ve been told “keep this to yourself” then I respect that. Otherwise, I personally feel it’s up for grabs on forum. The problem for me is these little details I picked up here and there–do I start a topic for just that tiny bit of info? I’m sorry if I come off keeping stuff from others, I definitely don’t have any intention to keep things for myself because the clock will never wind that way! Learning curve. :)

Anyhow, if you have any further questions on any topic feel free to search within the forum, see if it’s already there. And if the topic doesn’t have anything new feel free to bump it, maybe someone has more information as the story progressed. :)

search bar

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
      Profile photo of
      Anonymous

No apology necessary. You’re doing a great job, and you have a gentle way about you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sincere question.

Does the OOA see our private messaging on this site?

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

Hi @Jeromy,

Dunno for certain but it wouldn’t surprise me if they can view all messages.

Profile photo of Addison Born
      Addison Born
      Participant

They’ve hinted at it, I believe. OOA sees all, but that’s what we’ve signed up for I guess. Not knowing entirely what’s up other than a “sure, maybe.”

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register