House of Leaves

Tension brand Forums OFF TOPIC House of Leaves

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Yes The S
    Yes The S
    Participant

As I’ve been familiarizing myself with Tension I’ve been struck how much it reminds me of Mark Z. Danielwiski’s amazing book “House of Leaves.” As in that book, with Tension you have to work to piece together the story.

Anybody agree?

Profile photo of Grace (bumble)
    Grace (bumble)
    Participant

I haven’t read the book- but I really want to as it sound really interesting, would you recommend it?

Yes The S
      Participant

I definitely recommend! It’s in my top 10 favorite books of all time.

Yes The S
    Participant

@nospacebears I’d absolutely recommend it. It’s definitely a one of a kind reading experience that you can’t put down.

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

I got it a while ago specifically to save for reading on my 30h flight back home. I’ll need something to distract me from possible terror attacks/coups when I’m at my Istanbul layover!

Yes The S
    Participant

@lenize It definitely will distract you.

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

@ssquared my biggest problem is not picking it up and reading it! It is sitting there looking at me, sometimes I flip through it, but I know I shouldn’t start even with the first page as I will probably then not be able to stop. I still have a whole month of waiting to go and after first hearing of it I am now seeing it everywhere, lol.

Yes The S
    Participant

@lenize I hope you have a few days free when you started. I stayed up till three in the morning the first night I started reading it and was so unsettled by the book that I didn’t sleep for the rest of the night… so I stayed up and finished the book around noon the following day. It’s awesome!

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

I have a 30 hour flight with a 9 hour layover in between the two legs of the flight. Judging by the size of the book it shouldn’t take me longer than a large harry potter which is about 20 hours, which still leaves 10 hours for the other two books I have lined up!

Profile photo of Jake O
    Jake O
    Participant

such an amazing book. If you’re familiar with blackout haunted house, it is a big influence on them as well.

The fragmented narrative and post modern structure definitely has something in common with the way tension is telling their story. However, I feel like ultimately tension’s story will be a bit more straightforward and less abstract.

and yes, it is tremendously unsettling.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Jake O Jake O.
    Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

I’ve got the two Familiar books around my house somewheres.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

those are on deck for me!

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

@endlesspictures it’s somewhere with blackout that I heard of it and decided to buy it specifically for the flight (I have a whole kindle full of books, but batteries die and I prefer reading the real thing, especially in this case).

@monkeymuffin333 is that related to the book? I haven’t done any research into it or the actual storyline as to keep it as surprising/unsettling as possible.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

the familiar is the author’s massive new story. It is a 27 novel series! Part 3 is coming out soon, 1 and 2 are available to buy

Profile photo of Ezi
      Ezi
      Participant

Cool, will probably check it out after I’ve finished House of Leaves!

Yes The S
    Participant

@endlesspictures I won’t lie, I’m having fun imagining Ascension to be like Will’s last expedition into the house. Since I’m sadly not going to be able to go, I my fantasy remains intact.

My two cents on The Familiar is that it’s completely different than House of Leaves. The Familiar deconstructs narratives in a different way than House of Leaves did and it doesn’t verge into unsettling/horror at all.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

bummer you will not be able to go.
      yeah, I agree, if someone could create a live version of house of leaves, wow, that would be awesome (and most likely very expensive. Haha)

Yes The S
      Participant

Unrelated to this I’m looking for jobs in the Los Angeles area, so it’s entirely possible I’ll be able to participate more fully in the future. Of course, a completely live version of House of Leaves would leave the audience maimed, so perhaps not a 100% accurate.

Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

I bought the book online and should be getting it next Thursday, I’m very excited to read it!

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

My copy is arriving today, thanks guys!

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

Prepare to get your world rocked!

Profile photo of AH-lay
    AH-lay
    Participant

Yay! So happy! Found it on eBay for like 8 bucks.

View post on imgur.com

Used of course.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of AH-lay AH-lay.
      Yes The S
      Participant

That’s an awesome find! Brand new the book is something like $30-50.

Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

Alright I’m convinced. I’ll check it out.
    For some reason I prefer the physical copies of books as well.

Profile photo of Crystal
    Crystal
    Participant

The house works a lot like Tension Experience: you get out of it what you put into it. You can take everything at face value and have one experience, or dig infinitely deeper and discover so much more…

Also, if you haven’t picked up The Whalestoe Letters as a companion piece, you really should. It brings an extra dimension to P’s coded letters…

Oh, and have I mentioned the importance of Poe’s Haunted album? It’s pretty important, too.

Profile photo of Michelle
      Michelle
      Participant

@blacklotustriad That’s an amazing album by Poe. I was fortunate enough to see her open for Depeche Mode several times during the Exciter Tour (I’m pretty sure it was exciter). Even got to sing a few lines of Haunted with her. I have the book but have yet to read it.

Profile photo of Crystal
      Crystal
      Participant

I think it was the Exciter Tour, too. (I wanted to attend so badly!) I was lucky enough to see her during her small venue Pantene Pro-V tour with a bunch of other Angry Psychos and it was life changing. Okay, maybe nothing that dramatic but it was a wonderful time.

HoL is quite an experience. I’d love to see it turned into some sort of immersion theater because it’s completely unfilmable, but it would be such a monster project…

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Haunted is my favorite all-time album, actually, even though it’s not David Bowie. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register