How do I even DO Ascension?

Tension brand Forums INTERACTIONS WITH THE OOA How do I even DO Ascension?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 48 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Amie Amie 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Hey guys,

So there’s a lot of discussion how one should DO Ascension? What one can do to unlock/alter/change their path in Ascension? I would not call myself the Ascension expert BUT here’s one thing I’m sure of: don’t just go into Ascension and try to break the script/scene. I won’t ruin it with spoilers but to put this in escape room analogy: you have a three digit combination lock. Sure you can spend several minutes trying to brute force your way but you stand a very small (nearly impossible) chance of actually getting the correct combination. However, if you search the room and find the combination, then great, enter the combination and see where that takes you!

Look for clues, listen to the actors, and communicate with the actors.

Ascension scenes have a foundation base BUT scenes can alter (at least a little bit) with notes, triggers and responses. So, ya, there isn’t one right thing to do in Ascension BUT don’t just go in there and try to make it your own because you’ll stand a good chance of getting shut down (I’ve heard of this happening).

Hopefully this makes sense.

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Thank you! Wise words that I’ll be sure to keep in mind.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

The more I think about this and speak to others, I think there’s a fine line between trying to alter your path and breaking your path (which no one wants to do). I think there are things that you HAVE to do inside (whether is be for safety reasons or story reasons or something else) and things that you still have to do, but can alter the way you do it or it’s done. Look at it like this…if you want to play Monopoly, you can’t refuse to roll the dice right? But once you roll the dice, you can choose to buy a property or not. You can’t refuse to move after you roll the dice either. It’s all how you play the game.

Profile photo of Liv
      Liv
      Participant

I definitely don’t think anyone is intentionally trying to break the game, I just think there is some confusion. When you are told very clearly to do one thing and then told by someone else NOT to do that thing, so you try not doing it and are then told you’ll be taken out of the experience if you don’t, where does that leave you? If you don’t have the freedom to do something that a character tells you to do, then why tell you not to do it at all unless it’s specifically designed to make you feel helpless. If it is designed to make you feel helpless, I understand, but that also sets you up to feel like you don’t actually have a choice. Again, maybe that was part of it. They did ask if we believe in free will after all.

Profile photo of PuppetGirl
    PuppetGirl
    Participant

@mike But the main difference is in monopoly the rules are clearly written in a guide and you know when to roll the dice and move and what your options are to buy property or build a house…in Ascension you may think it’s time to decide to buy property but in the script you are supposed to be rolling the dice and you just don’t know.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I see your point and I get it. For this, I think not having clearly written rules makes the experience better and gives people that opportunity to actually alter the story (not break it). For example, if the rules were: Do this and do that, don’t do this. Then you’ll have all the people in your group doing the same exact thing. That leaves no space for any alterations. Over the weekend, I went to a traditional haunted house and right up front, the rules were 1) don’t touch the props, 2) don’t touch the actors. That means everyone is going to have the same experience (walking through and looking). You couldn’t interact, you couldn’t change anything, but within Tension, you can. If you push too hard on something that isn’t alterable, then they let you know. I experienced this when I went through and I think a few others did. So while there aren’t written rules, I feel like they let you know when you’re on thin ice.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

Well that’s what I’m curious about – and I’m also not trying to break anything, I would never advocate for that in any way – I want to play with my choices and see what effect they have. Not having clearly written rules *might* make the experience better for some, but it does go against what the norm is for interactive/immersive theatre. All I’m wondering is, are the rules not clearly written for a reason? Things have to be intentional. They can’t just be because no one thought about it. If the conscious choice has been made to not clarify some rules – like, specifically here I’m talking about can we disobey orders, and what about when we are told to do things that go against those orders – then that’s fine. And, like I said earlier, it mirrors real life. We go through every day doing what we’re told, until someone decides not to. No one spells out the rules of every day life for us. I’m perfectly willing to embrace the vagueness – IF it’s a choice.

If it’s not a choice – that’s where I have issues with works art, pieces of theatre, etc. You can dismiss that if you want to just be having fun and enjoying the experience, and that’s fine. But when it comes, for me, to looking at something as art, as a piece of theatre, and discussing it in depth, this is part of the territory. Asking “why” is hugely important. For me, if it comes down to – there is no consistent internal logic, you can disobey orders one night and get thrown out but NOT get thrown out the next night…that’s a frustrating experience. I’m wanting to know if Tension rises above that. I had a very frustrating experience at Ascension and I have good reason to believe that there is MUCH MORE to it than what I walked away with. That the frustration was entirely my own fault. That I COULD HAVE disobeyed, and remained in the experience. So, I can look at it a few ways – 1.) “there are always choices,” as I was told, and so there are things I could have done that weren’t spelled out perhaps, and that lack of specificity is on purpose; 2.) the lack of specificity represents something that wasn’t thought about until audiences went in and were confused; 3.) I’m being personally fucked with, which is also on purpose, and given my life, highly likely.

So – yes – the lack of clarity MIGHT be a good thing, as long as it’s intentional.

And I’m not advocating in any way trying to break the script or scene. I’m saying “what happens if someone disobeys?” That’s not breaking anything, it’s just a choice. We were told at the start to choose A all of the time, but then occasionally some of us were told in whispers to choose B. What if we just straight up choose B? If there are paths to uncover via disobedience, we’re never going to find them until someone takes that step.

Profile photo of DimStyle
    DimStyle
    Participant

So everyone that was on the forum pre- Ascension…

How is everything playing out? Did some/ all/ none of our theories play out? Did some of the questions still left open get answered? Where there things we missed that came to light during Ascention?

I’d say that it is wrong to look at Ascension being a continuation of Indoctrination, or anything that would answer questions raised in Indoctrination. Indoctrination provided a backdrop for Ascension, but the two were essentially unrelated from a details standpoint.

Indoctrination gave us an understanding of who Addison was, what the OOA is, and a number of other minor Easter eggs sprinkled throughout, but many of the questions raised in Indoctrination were left unanswered for now. The two were unrelated enough, for example, that in my experience the name “Gatekeeper” was not even mentioned.

Certainly not a complaint, I loved every part of it, but Ascension is a standalone experience, not a place to find answers for questions raised in Indoctrination

Profile photo of DimStyle
      DimStyle
      Participant

@thegilded so what did become of Addison?

@dimstyle – I suppose it’s not a spoiler, as it was hinted to at the end of Indoctrination and confirmed through all Ascension publications:

Addison is very much in the hands of the OOA. If any of her normal self remains, I didn’t see it.

Profile photo of Liv
      Liv
      Participant

I actually did end up having an interaction with Addison that left me feeling like some of her true self was still in there.

Profile photo of Dan
      Dan
      Participant

That’s good to hear, @summoningdark. I wonder if reaching the real her is one of those stories the creators said haven’t been unlocked yet. Watching Westworld the other day, the Man in Black kept talking about a deeper level to that game that nobody’s reached. Got me thinking about Ascension…

Profile photo of Liv
      Liv
      Participant

That’s an interesting thought, @shinobi I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a possibility. Now I’m also wondering if there are rooms within Ascension that no one has found yet. Just like there are apparently puzzles from Indoctrination that were never solved…

Profile photo of Dan
      Dan
      Participant

I can imagine the creators sitting at the monitors and every time someone gets close to a hidden path, they’re on the edge of the seat going, “Come on! It’s right there! Just find it!” Haha…

@summoningdark: I also encountered what I suspect is the real Addy Barrow. She seemed to like getting right in my space, but it was never threatening. She knew me, and she said things that would make sense to say to a person *like me.* I would imagine she said similar things to you.

Profile photo of Liv
      Liv
      Participant

Lol Dan, I’m picturing that now!

It sounds like we did have a similar conversation, @electrichippo. That interaction ended up being one of my favorite of the evening because it did seem triggered by the type of person I am.

Profile photo of Amie
      Amie
      Participant

I ended up with more questions. :)

I don’t think it’s wrong to look at it as a continuation but I never expected to have questions answered while I was in there. Obviously for someone not familiar with Indoctrination this event can still make sense without the back story but for those of us that have been through, I feel very much like it continued the story. Considering we had the periscope of Addison being forced into the shower and her red dress hung up and waiting for her the day before Ascension started. I agree though, overall it wasn’t meant to be a place for answers but I suspect there are some hidden around in there.

Profile photo of ReidV
      ReidV
      Participant

@dimstyle like everyone said its more of an “easter egg” sorta feeling, although many Indoctrination players did get some special experiences. As for Addison I was lucky enough to speak with her, and it raised more questions than answers as always 😃

Profile photo of Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Participant

Hello, and Glory Be.

Regarding Addison, while undergoing processing last night, I encountered her a couple of times but was concerned regarding our primary encounter. After asking me about my experience thus far, she then said the most unusual thing to one of the girls in the white dresses — something about whether or not Dave had finished setting up something or other yet, a reference I think was to a producer and whether or not he had accomplished some task for the theatre. The girl looked at her like she was nuts, and said, “Who the fuck is Dave? What are you talking about?”

Addison responded angrily, and moved on down the corridor. The girl in the white dress said to me, “She’s been getting worse since she’s been back”.

As for this young woman in white, she made it quite clear that she came thinking it was a theatrical experience, and has been trapped there for months.

She asked me to help her and the others….a task I was unable to fulfill….and it haunts me….

Profile photo of 111_error
      111_error
      Participant

The girls in white are the handlers, and yes, many of them have been trapped in the labyrinth for months. Rumor has it they are unable to leave, or are dragged back as soon as they do. The Overseer (she would rather not be addressed by former names) has been increasingly troubled and agitated ever since assuming her new role, so it sounds like you probably received and understood all the information you were supposed to.

Being haunted by what happened in there is normal – welcome to the club.

If you want further information on what is going on there, you can always return for re-processing. I can assure you that you will not have the same experience.

Lawrence
      Participant

Some of the handlers…they asked me to save them. I wanted to and the screams of one, “Don’t leave us”, are echoing in my brain…

I have decided to return because I cannot just leave them there.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

So we have young women kept there against their will and begging to be rescued? Old people trying to get word to the families they’ve been kept away from? And people still think the OOA is a good place? What the hell is wrong with you all?!

Profile photo of Michelle
      Michelle
      Participant

There is nothing wrong with me @blondiecamps, my allegiance to the OOA is unwavering. I took my time with my decision and it brought me into the light.

My time with The Overseer and all that she showed me made my _path clear as day. It is a path that isn’t for everyone. When you’ve been held in the arms of some of these people, when you felt the power of The Overseer and have been washed in her grace… it felt like home. You must travel deep into the rabbit hole before finding the light. Sometimes that journey is dark and difficult. As she shared with me and Jake, truth is subjective. Not all our paths are the same, some of us are destined to belong in the OOA. Some of us will rise among them, with her.

Praise Anoch and Glory Be!

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I have a request I’d like to make. Please respectfully consider this.

Given that Indoctrination is now over, we are in a lull waiting to see what the next phase of all this will be (which could be a long ways away), and tons of new people are coming to the site every day and being introduced to the community, can we cease with attacking one another? We don’t even know if there will be a purpose in the narrative for it in the future and until we know, let’s just put a hold on it. I’m not saying don’t be OOA/don’t be BOS, or even don’t be passionate about it – but please, please stop aggressively going after those who disagree.

In fairness, I don’t believe that either side meant this as a real, honest attack. I agree with trying to avoid directed real hatred but, at least from my point of view, the BoS vs. OOA war at this stage is mostly just playful jabs between people

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

In fairness, it’s only a request to be considered. “Playful jabs” don’t read as such to everyone over the internet.

I absolutely agree with the cessation of any sort of uncalled for personal attack. I think I erroneously thought that you were telling @blondie and @halfbloodfangirl and by extension anyone else who would want to argue the finer (or cruder) points of the BoS vs OOA conflict that they should stop entirely.

Until we get anything new, I rather enjoy seeing the two sides fight, posture and jab, and I know I’m not alone. As long as we keep it all civil, of course. “What the fuck is wrong with you all!?” seems a fair question for both sides to ask each other.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

What I said was born out of frustration and a desire for an explanation of something I am struggling to understand and so maybe my tone was a little accusatory… By no means a personal attack on anyone in particular, I don’t think that’s ever been my style, but you’re all free to disagree 😉 Neither did I take @halfbloodfangirl‘s response as an attack, I welcome her perspective as someone on the other side who has been through Ascension. No-one seems to have any answers for me at the moment so I will wait and see what happens when I walk through the doors into the OOA…

Michelle
      Participant

@blondiecamps

You may not get the answers you seek when/if you are able to make the journey. I can understand why you’d find it frustrating. Unfortunately, none of us can share our decision to why we chose to follow or reject the OOA without sharing details of the experience. It wasn’t until my second time that the my path became so clear. And, I’m not sure how much it’s altered for everyone who’s attending a second time. I would love to have a chat with someone out of game, away from the boards in private who went through a second time but also wasn’t involved as deeply and for as long as some of us have been. If there’s anyone out there on the boards who fits that, please message me. I don’t know how much they change the narrative. My experience was deeply personal because of who attended with me and the circumstances. I am also aware of another pair’s experience and their experience was similar with personal touches like my own.

I do look forward to discussing openly about all of our experiences once Ascension is over. I think many of us will have a moment to share that will be unique.

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

Dude we should all do a “nerd out meet up” once Ascension is wrapped up.

Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
    Andrew Kasch
    Participant

I am scheduled for re-processing this Sunday. I can’t believe it, but I’m feeling the exact same exhilaration going back.
    No idea what to expect. Although the allusions to The Overseer are certainly intriguing.

111_error
      Participant

You’re so fucked.

<3

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

That’s such a reassurance.

111_error
      Participant

Hey, I added a heart, that’s the international symbol of “I know you’re gonna love it BB”, right?

Seriously though, that man is fucking screwed.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

So excited! Hope I get screwed sideways!

Wait…that came out wrong. (Or did it?)

Michelle
      Participant

@kasch I’m so excited for you. It was the most epic experience I’ve had. My life has been touched in way I’m unable to share right now. The magnitude though that they’ve gone through…

In Morgan’s words, you’re fucked. 😉 Bwahahaha

But it can’t all be that bad when I’m now trying to fit in a third time. Oh wait… That’s right, I’m a bit of a masochist. 😈

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Michelle Michelle.
    Profile photo of Mustafa Said
    Mustafa Said
    Participant

I have a small request to ask of anyone who can do this for me and is attending Ascension(either it’s your first time or you’re going again.)

I’d like anyone who manages to encounter the Overseer again to give her my thanks for everything she’s done on my behalf. I wish I could do it myself, honestly. But I want my gratitude to be delivered to her.

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

I make my return visit to Ascension next week. I am very curious how it will go… the first time left me with feelings of sadness, anger and confusion.
    (ALL of that in a good way, mind you. I LOVED the experience.)

Upon returning, I cannot help but reflect on the last look on Addison’s face as she seemed to realize… well… that things had not gone as planned.
    Also, my mind goes to the odd, very short interactions I had with three or four people. Helpful and supportive things were whispered to me. Someone tried to offer me support… only to turn threatening later in the night. Another person seemed oddly threatening, as well. I passed someone in the hall, but was not sure I should interact. So many moments like that keep popping into my mind as I reflect on my first trek through.

I am very excited about returning!!!

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

If what the others have said is true, I think we’ll all need to do another bar meet-up soon just to decompress all over again.

I’m sure the OOA is going to relish every moment of our re-processing.

Michelle
      Participant

@kasch @reaton @thegilded

Your minds will be blown. I think when it’s all over we should all get together and share stories. We’re all going to have something to share from round 2. The first visit, our experiences were, for the most part, similar. It was the second visit that we will have differences. I can’t share yet how they messed with me. And, it was personal AF. So my experience will be unique.

I’m guessing there will be some who go once more. I’m debating it right now and may do it the final weekend.

We are seriously all going to have stories to tell that will be won’t be the same or similar. I know I would love to hear how everyone’s repeat visits were different and how did the characters interact differently with all of us. There’s one character in particular that I’m curious about.

When are you going? I’m going for round 2 next Friday, myself

Profile photo of Mouse
    Mouse
    Participant

Going on Thursday for the first time on Thursday. It looks like the key to maximizing the experience is to interact with the actors. Not sure if its better to be “honest” or try to help “create an experience”? I don’t want to try and break the script but I don’t want a vanilla experience. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of Sadako
      Sadako
      Participant

Honesty is the best policy…

Profile photo of Mouse
      Mouse
      Participant

A nice platitude but what if I am honest about a thought or a feeling that isn’t socially acceptable? Letting it all hang out sounds liberating until people don’t like what hey see or hear. Or is it liberating?

Profile photo of Addison Born
    Addison Born
    Participant

@jkomouse, I don’t mean to follow you around, hah

Once you’re inside, you won’t need to worry about creating an experience – that will be crafted around you. Honesty is the most important factor here – the more open you are, the better the experience.

Speaking from my personal experience – if you are completely honest with yourself and with those around you, you will no doubt learn something about yourself in there. Act and react with your emotions, of which I’m sure you will have many. Be brave. Ask questions. Listen to everything. Nothing is random once inside.

Lawrence
    Participant

The Experience has been curated for you. Follow your instincts.
    Honesty with others is absolutely essential.
    Yet even more important is honesty with yourself.
    Be present. Be awake. Pay attention.
    That is where the rewards lie.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Lawrence Lawrence.
    Profile photo of prufrock5150
    prufrock5150
    Participant

It is a time of pith (and, for some, vinegar). But brevity is the soul of wit, it is often said, so perhaps the question asked has a simple answer: You do not do Ascension. Ascension does you.

The Overseer is the Overseer because it sees over, not oversees. I hear the view is fucking great.

Glory Be

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

I’ve been avoiding the threads with spoilers like the plague so it seems like I haven’t been around but I always am. I didn’t even know where to post honestly but here is where I’ve landed. I’ll be reprocessing tonight and I feel like I did the first time. A little nervous, a lot excited and ready to give myself over. I’ve spent this weekend with some of the wonderful people I’ve met because of this experience and I couldn’t be more thankful to @thecreator for bringing this to us. Who knew back in March how far down this path I would go to get to this day. The fact that people are traveling here to LA (me included) to take part in this is such a huge testament to what has been accomplished. How many times have we been asked “Why are YOU here??” It’s all because of you, Tension. You brought us here. You brought me here, less than 8 hours away from wherever you want to take me tonight. Thank you for everything. ❤️

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register