I am being watched…

Tension brand Forums INTERACTIONS WITH THE OOA I am being watched…

This topic contains 57 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Susie J Susie J 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
    Andrew Kasch
    Participant

I received an ominous voicemail from someone new.

“Andrew, I was hoping he’d be there. They taught me how to watch. And now I see you.”

This relates to Aleisters message after @thebuz and I found the letter.

III… Is that you?

Profile photo of 111_error
    111_error
    Participant

Why do you think so much is happening around you? You seem to be at the center of basically all major developments.

Can we trust you, Andrew? o__0

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

@111_error: Yesterday was just dumb luck that @thebuz and I were driving around when the Periscope thing happened. We just happened to get there first.

As for all the other attention I’ve been getting from the OOA…I honestly can’t say. But I was one of the original people who signed up on the website and was at the first consultations (it should be noted that the OOA contacted me about Tension out of the blue…I had never heard about it before). I was also informed by Jenna during my clandestine park meeting that she saw a few photos from the elders of the Institute. They told her that “these people were very important” and one was of me.

As much as we’re in this together, each of us have a different path and I have no greater theories on the “hows” and “whys” beyond who gets chosen for what. Obviously I’ve been the subject of suspicion from virtually everyone since the forums opened – so I can’t say or do anything without people thinking me suspect. But at the end of the day, does anyone REALLY trust anyone here? These forums are an integral part of where the “tension” comes from, and the OOA have done a masterful job sewing seeds of distrust.

111_error
      Participant

But at the end of the day, does anyone REALLY trust anyone here?

Yes.

You’re still more handsome in person than I expected, but your path seems curiously vibrant.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Maybe it’s because of my handsomeness? πŸ˜‰

111_error
      Participant

Welp, you are in Hollywood, that is basically the second currency there…

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I’ll be in Hollywood next week!

Profile photo of Addison Born
      Addison Born
      Participant

Hey, just putting together a timeline.. I know you and @thebuz were searching for the bonfire site, right around Westside Community Park in Culver City, and left from there? I was in the area as well, a few miles out towards Santa Monica, and got on the 10 at like 2:05. Right after the first seemingly accidental periscope went out.. and I hit Culver City before the second periscope finished. Traffic was insane, as I’m sure you’re aware.

SUPER curious as to how you guys got there so quickly.

It took me 20 min to get to Culver City, and hit stopped traffic on the other side, right where you guys would be getting on the freeway. Just trying to figure out how you were able to get there envelope in hand in less than 40 min. I drove that exact route every day during that same timeframe for months a little bit ago and it’s generally an hour’s drive.

It is really cool though how you guys seem to always be in the right place at the right time for this stuff.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

The power of Waze and fast driving, my friend.

111_error
      Participant

Addison Born
      Participant

would have bought “motorcycle” but waze doesn’t break up stopped traffic

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Sounds a bit accusatory there @addisonborn.

We were just above Culver about to turn onto Jefferson when I saw the first periscope.

WITH Griffith Park tagged as a location. So I immediately told Andrew to turn left and 20ish minutes later we made it.

And even if you were on your way from that way you still didn’t manage to get there even once @Melissa and @Rizooooo arived and we read the letter again.

There was a lot of speeding and reckless driving but we made it one piece.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Wow, some tin foil hat stuff flying around in here.
      No conspiracy to be found here. Buz and I took all side streets and broke a few speeding laws and wound up there very fast.

Addison Born
      Participant

Yep, sounds good. Would love to hear the route if you have a min – I’ve driven that exact route literally 100 times in the past 6 months, and it’s never been that quick.

Addison Born
      Participant

I was in the neighborhood, but said fuck it when I heard you guys already had it

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Also there are other members that I told what we were doing and the moment we changed course.

Not to mention the email I sent to Tension letting them know what we were doing… If you wanted further proof.

Addison Born
      Participant

Yep, I got an update from the people you told, I was already on the road for around 10-15 min at that point.

Just trying to figure out how you guys did it for the next time I need to drive that route on a Friday.

And also think it’d be cool for someone at the greater Tension Experience to explain how a select few are getting so much attention and if it has anything to do with favoriting industry and media insiders or just people that act like they’re working with Tension. It’s not the first time media has had unique experiences or been first on the scene, I’m sure it’s not the last. But the energy spent here vs the actual meaningful content being given to participants is pretty low.

Don’t mean to break the fourth wall here on the forums, and I’m probably not calling you guys out specifically. Just wondering if we’ll ever get an explanation for the seemingly narrow focus of the organizers.

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

Well to break the fourth wall, @kasch and I used to work for Dread Central and have a lot of industry contacts/reach.

Then again my involvement stems almost directly from Andrew pulling me in as they reached out to me after finding my number and info in his phone when they took his phone during a consultation.

However I haven’t seen the kind of attention Andrew has, nor do I think I will.

Only time will tell!

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Those of us who were there at the beginning are experiencing some extra things that correlate to what happened to us at the first consultation back in February. That said, aside from getting yanked upstairs at the end of the mixer event (which several other original members were as well), my experience over the last few months hasn’t differed that much from you guys. There are plenty of long stretches where nothing happens to me and I get a little antsy. I certainly don’t think I’m being raised on some sort of pedestal or given special privilege by Tension. I don’t think Mike, Sean and Melissa – all of whom are “advancing” through the OOA ranks over all of us – would say the same thing.

If GK4 were here, I’m sure she would deliver one of her patented sarcastic rants right about now. But since we appear to only be at the halfway point towards the main event, my advice would be to wait, observe and be active. Cause there’s a method to this madness and you never know what the hell this thing has planned for you.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Andrew Kasch Andrew Kasch.
      Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

T-E-N-S-I-O-N

111_error
      Participant

So only people there from the beginning experience the good stuff in person? Would have been good to know that last week.

I think the community that’s formed is better at solving puzzles than Tension expected. That’s to be celebrated, and a simple course correction would be easier than digging out of the hole that’s forming.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

To recap:

– Russell and three others I have never met were at the special event on Saturday that the rest of us weren’t.
      – Mike, Melissa, and Sean were promoted to special positions within the OOA.
      – Countless others were at the library consultation, which many of us weren’t invited to.

So to say that only “industry” people are getting the “good stuff” is kind of absurd.
      I know it’s frustrating when you feel like you’re raising your hand in the middle of the classroom with 50 other students, screaming “Pick me! Pick me!” and you don’t feel that has happened yet. There are probably others who feel the same about you (you were, after all, invited Sunday’s event when others were not).

If it makes you angry that someone experienced something different than you, then tough break – That’s Tension for you. I heard mostly radio silence for the month of April, so I know what it’s like to feel like nothing is happening. Relax. Breathe. Be patient. As GK4 said, this is just the warm-up.

Now let’s drop this drama and get back to having fun.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Who is the “he”? and who are “they”?

So whoever called you was hoping someone else was going to be where the letter was?

I’m sure you or Buz will get a new clue and figure this out soon enough…but when you do, make sure to let us all know :)

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

“He” could refer to @thebuz. Or it could refer to one of the people I was recording the TALES OF HALLOWEEN commentary with when the call came in.

As for “they” – I have no clue.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Listening to it again, he could’ve said “you” instead of “he” but that word was hard to make out.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

So…maybe someone’s got a secret crush on @thebuz haha

The overthinking me makes me think they’re targeting either him or both of you together. 2 birds with 1 stone. Be careful dude.

But why would they “hope” he’d be with you. Do you hang out together enough to have someone notice that?

Speaking of, Buz did you check your mail today yet?

Profile photo of TheBuz
      TheBuz
      Participant

I am Godfather to his child, and we do hang out quite a bit.

So it would make sense if they were making me part of his path.

However I don’t think that’s the case.

Profile photo of TheBuz
    TheBuz
    Participant

Route was a mix of La Brea North, 6th east, few other side streets, eventually getting on Olympia I think and then Griffith Park Blvd, and a right on Los Feliz Blvd and Boom!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Profile photo of TheBuz
    TheBuz
    Participant

Haters

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

That…doesn’t help you.

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Alright alright I gotta speak up. Was I personally a little bummed that I didn’t find the letter even though I was in Hollywood already when the periscope went out? Sure. I really thought I’d be the first. But I wasn’t.

Just like an escape room, someone will find always the puzzle/clue/item first and I’m glad the item was shared.

Do I personally think it’s nearly a miracle to go from Culver City to Griffith Park in that short of a time span on a Friday? Sure. But that ship sailed. Let’s all move on.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa.
      Addison Born
      Participant

When there are 50 people in a room together but the doors only seem to open for the same select few time after time, especially those that have an outlet to broadcast specific, almost always glowing and on-brand messaging, it’s not out of line for someone to get suspicious.

Profile photo of GATEKEEPER3
      GATEKEEPER3
      Keymaster

ok

Profile photo of prufrock5150
    prufrock5150
    Participant

Here’s one way of looking at it:

View post on imgur.com

We need to remember that the OOA is, first and foremost, an Order. That is, that which is borne out the organization of chaos. From the inside of a system, you cannot see the pattern. They are not on the inside.
    Here is a book written about informational systems based in the principle of self-orgnanization: https://uniteyouthdublin.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/here_comes_everybody_power_of_organizing_without_organizations.pdf – Particularly useful is Chapter 9 and the discussion of the Power-Law-Distribution of user activity within a social system.

In the end, remember that the byproduct of paranoia and suspicion is two-fold – you may not be able to trust everybody, but you also don’t know how important they are. In fact, you don’t even know how important *you* are. This is why reserving judgment and treating one another as we would treat ourselves (better, actually, knowing most people) is actually an expression of pure logic: we do not have all the information. But we stay here because we have faith that eventually, we all will.

Knowing all would be glorious, brothers and sisters… and GLORY BE.

Profile photo of Lucus
      Lucus
      Participant

Awesome another book to read. I was trying to search for this concept of community self-organization about 5 days ago but I couldnt quite put the words together correctly in google. Wierd this is exactly what I was looking for. Interesting.

Profile photo of Neil King
    Neil King
    Participant

I am going to say this again and again – a little drama unfolded in this thread. I read through it and it isn’t fair to criticize those in the media for having a different experience. From the very beginning of this experience we have known all of our paths would be different. @kasch and @thebuz are on their own path and may be used in such a way that make the experience greater for all of us. There is plenty of time for something big to happen to anyone. @111error we all know your situation and yeah man that sucked we get it. Because Andrew and Buz are constantly active and being reached out to vs the rest of us does not mean they are in on it, they are lying, or anything similar. I’ve known both of these guys longer than The Tension Experience has gone on and every interaction prior has been the same. They are not playing a part. They are just as much as participants as us.

To be accusatory over this experience which is meant to bring us together is the opposite of what they want. I for one am having a blast. Since the whole “detractor” thing it has been pretty quiet on my front which has been about 6 weeks or so. I was even cancelled on for the third event due to timing and was promised it would be made up – so I sit here patient and await what the Gatekeepers, Overseerers, and Elders have in store for me. As anxious as I may be to have some sort of form of interaction or thoughts that they are forgetting about me I remember that it is all part of it. It is called the TENSION experience and yeah things are getting tense here.

We do have to remember that our price to play is to spread the word of the experience and to be active. Nobody has been forced to give up money to continue their _path and you can drop out whenever you want. I for one will see this all the way through regardless of my interactions. I am sure my time will come and when they feel I am ready.

As for your message @kasch, interesting. I wonder. It seems like it is III and that is awesome.

While I am spilling my guts here I might as well put this out there to the overseers and @gatekeeper3, @masterlock, @light2dark – When I first started I put a boundary up around myself in my first conversation with you guys. I’d like to pull that boundary down and allow you to carry out the plan as you all see fit. I TRUST you. Please pass the message on to the elders. Thank you!

Glory Be!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Neil King Neil King.
      Profile photo of Mike
      Mike
      Participant

@nking – thank you for posting this. I went to bed very sad at what transpired yesterday and this is confirmation that I was not alone.

Last Sunday, I said “we have built this but we can also tear is down”. That is exactly what is happening and it bums me out. I don’t want this to be torn down. I feel we’ve dug a hole that is too deep to get out of. For example, what if next week @kasch and @thebuz get another phone call or get a find a new clue? Will this same thing happen all over again? Also, what if @addisonborn gets a call or a clue? Will that show others that if you’re not getting attention to call people out in a roundabout way? NO ONE WINS.

They want moths to a flame. They want community. How does this look to new people who become interested? They see a thread full of accusations and fingerpointing and drama. If you were brand new here and didn’t have the friendships and relationships within that we do, would you want to stick around and participate? Or would you be worried that if you got something extra that you’d be ostracized and become a target? Personally, if that was me, I’d walk. This is not the way.

We’re in this together and someone will ALWAYS get something, see something, hear something that you think is better than what you’ve gotten. It happens in life and it will happen here. There’s no way around it. So we can stop and focus on what other people are getting or we can worry about ourselves and do the best that we possibly can.

I know everyone involved (not well, but if any of you said, “Hey Mike, want to play Uno?” I’d be so down.) and you all seem like amazing and genuine people. We know that lines are being blurred, but let’s not ruin REAL friendships that we are making.

Yes, this is called Tension, but I don’t think the Institute had this in mind.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Huzzah to Neil and Mike! Well said, gents!

Everyone has a different _path and you never know what will happen at any moment.

Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

Dropping out is not really a logical option for most people. Since this experience gets inside your head I don’t really see a way out. I mean sure I could write the Institute, opt out and have all my information removed but that does nothing for the thinking. I would still periodically check into the forums and lurk in the background. It would be rather difficult to put the events, theories and community behind us. The curiousity after coming this far would be to much.

Whenever you feel left out of the event just think of some of us who have the travel agency on speed dial, american coin in hand, ready and waiting for a part in the experience. Im not trying to whine or bitch on here cause I believe I will have an important part if I just persevere and stick with it. I know my path is different, Im foriegn, and not very good at detective puzzle work. I have not received any messages, phonecalls, or emails what so ever (except the newsletter and a message from Esther Smith). I struggle with social media, don’t make posts that engage the community, and am not connected 24 hours a day ( I wish I was) but alas I’m here, I’ve been here from the start, and I will be here until the end. If the light is willing I will even purchase a ticket and meet some of you for the final event. But we shall see. Glory be.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Dropping out absolutely *is* an option, let’s not pretend otherwise. I nearly dropped out last week but was convinced to remain in the game. Personally, I really want to continue this journey, regardless of who is behind it or what transpired yesterday. I’m flying to LA in four days for non-Tension related fun but do have some hope that something Tension-related will happen. I’ve put in a lot of time and effort from over here in Minnesota and would like to have that chance, if possible.

Like everyone else, I don’t know exactly what this *is* and we’re specifically not “supposed” to question whether it’s “immersive theatre” or not, but for a second, assume it is. I’ve been in professional theatre for nearly 20 years, just started as a college professor teaching theatre design this past year. Immersive theatre & ARGs are a huge research passion of mine.

I’ve seen Sleep No More three times.
    First time was in 2011. I believe it wasn’t quite a THING yet. There weren’t the crowds there are today. I had a life-changing experience then, I walked into a room and I was alone with Hecate – no other audience member was there. She made eye contact with me and I froze, thinking “oh shit, this is an audience interaction moment, do I run, or do I stay??” because the Megan of back then didn’t do audience interaction. I had paid $400 for the plane ticket to NYC from Austin *specifically to see this show* and another $100 for the ticket to the show itself. I decided to let the experience unfold. And it did, and I’m glad it did. I contacted the actor, Careena Melia, afterward to tell her how much that one interaction impacted my life.

Second time was in 2012. I walked into the same room – crowded as fuck. I happened to be in the right place at the right time though, and had a second interaction with Hecate.

Third time was in 2014. There was little enjoyment of it for me. There were swarms of people who knew every move every actor was going to make, and knew exactly when to be in every room. Furthermore, they pushed other audience members out of the way in order to be there first and be picked first. A friend of mine received a ring from a character in the show, only to have another audience member rip it out of her hand. It was no longer about art, about theatre, about experience, it was about who got what.

Many, many, many actors involved in that show talk about how grueling it was to be involved. There are stories of audience members blocking doors that should have been closed, getting physically too close for comfort, being aggressive, griefing, etc. What I take away from all of this – those stories and my own experiences – is that something that once was about connection and experience and intimacy with the audience was now about entitlement and what was owed.

No one is owed anything, ever, anywhere. I got on a plane ($400) and bought a ticket ($100) and wasn’t owed a damn thing. I got *lucky* and I’m forever grateful for that. But the amount that I spent to get there? Many of the people working to make that experience happen weren’t even being paid that much money in an entire month to give me that. Why should they go out of their way to make it special?

My point is – IF YOU THINK ABOUT THIS AS IMMERSIVE THEATRE – there are likely a handful of people trying to pull this off. There are actors being paid almost nothing to bring us this experience. Shit happens, some are lucky, some aren’t, and that’s how it is. The first two days I was on here I had a SLEW of interactions with the OOA that caused some of you to suspect I was part of the OOA (I think my name is still on the reddit post as being a possible insider). I’m in fucking MINNESOTA! I, too, am disappointed when not much happens. I, too, want more interaction and feel left out. But I try to get the fuck over it as best I can.

Last summer was FVFH – Family Vacation From Hell. My brother in law got seriously drunk and started imploding his own marriage in front of the whole hotel and my family and his kids. I held his kids while he called his wife some awful names that all of Cape Cod heard. I do not have kids and do not know what to do with them, and was trying to make it better and talk to them. I said something to one of them about how I almost picked up a jewelry making kit for her on the way down so we could make necklaces together. Then I stopped and turned to the other and said “but I couldn’t think of what you would want, so I didn’t get anyone anything.” He turned to me, tears in his eyes, and said “You don’t have to get me anything. I know life’s not fair.”

Listen to that kid.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Regardless of what Tension stuff my happen during your visit, we should get a group together to hang out while you’re here, @Megan

Half the fun has been our outside-the-event meet ups!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Andrew Kasch Andrew Kasch.
      Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

Meet up! πŸ˜ƒ

Neil King
      Participant

Yes Meet up! Just let me know time and place.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I don’t know LA, so time & place is up to y’all.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I agree with this statement.
      I am in performance workshops on Sat & Sun 12-8, seeing Day Shall Declare It on Friday night, The Truth on Sat night, and have a dinner date Monday night with the guy from No Proscenium podcast. Otherwise, I’m currently open.

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I know people have work and stuff, but Sunday evening after 8pm is wide open and could work. Otherwise, I’m at the 9:20 show of “The Truth” on Saturday, maybe meetup afterwards? Or Monday night before I leave.

Profile photo of Michelle
      Michelle
      Participant

My Sunday is wide open! I’m up for a meet-up!

Neil King
      Participant

As is mine.. everyone else?

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

I’m down!

Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

My Sunday looks open.

Profile photo of Rusty
    Rusty
    Participant

As usual, my insane schedule has left me in the place of playing catch-up. I am aware of the building tensions… and I have been absent as it seems to have exploded a bit. For that, I am grateful. If this “thing” that is the Tension experience begins to fragment actual friendships that have been in place for longer than my participation here… it is not worth my continuing. I realize I am echoing sentiments expressed already.

To be honest, I have already considered walking away due to something that was going on a couple weeks ago. But, civil communication and honesty worked that out and I decided to stay. Believe me, I have no issues with walking away. It would have saddened me, for sure, but friendships take priority. This is simply an addition to my life… a welcome, interesting, challenging addition, so far…

Right now, if I were new to this, I would be looking at a series of posts in theses forums of people tearing into each other, not supporting each other. Each step we take is individual, but we are a community, I hope.
    It has been stressed we each are individuals, but a true community is something that supports the group as a whole… while allowing each individual to thrive and explore on their own.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Rusty Rusty.
      Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Profile photo of Jake O
    Jake O
    Participant

I just finished reading this whole thread. I understand both sides. i think everyone should read and understand what @mike @reaton and especially @coryphella have said.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the tension experience has been created for us and asked nothing of us. It is a world created by humans for us to immerse ourselves in and they have given us the opportunity to form this strange community.

Sure there is favoritism, sure they are giving additional experiences to people that have the ability to publish their experience. At the end of the day, that IS fair.

Until I’ve paid for something, I have no right to bitch about what I’m NOT getting. No one here does.

Let’s be adults and suck it up and have fun, or not. We have free will and the ability to say fuck this I’m done. But if you want to keep playing quit whining.

Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

Not to say that we can’t speak our minds. But let us be civil and kind. This experience has something none other does. US!! Let’s not let things escalate into negativity. We can build something legendary here.

Profile photo of Jake O
      Jake O
      Participant

agree!

Profile photo of Michelle
    Michelle
    Participant

Just catching up myself after being three days on a pool deck non-stop for my son’s polo tournament. Goodness, you can’t log on for even a day and you miss something.. three days makes you feel like you’ve been out of touch for months.

@addisonborn I do understand what you’re saying and hope that you haven’t decided to walk away. It’s just the way the cookie crumbles that others are going to get a bit more attention than some of us. I was shocked I got an invite to the mixer because, while sharing FB & commenting on FB posts, I hadn’t been that active even on the forums. After the mixer, I was drawn in even further and have become more vocal everywhere. Rather than a spectator or a lurker, I’m an actual participant. I’m so grateful to have been included in that because I met a lot of awesome people… you included!

We have no idea where this will all lead us. But, right now, IMO, it’s all about planting the seeds. The best way for that to be done is through social media outlets. It’s being done in a way that is absolutely clever and, while it involves some more than others, we are all pulled in through the shared stories, through community. I love it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register