SCARELA

This topic contains 53 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DimStyle DimStyle 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of JonathanScareLA
    JonathanScareLA
    Participant

Hi all,

I have been lurking for the past few weeks, I will be the moderator for The Tension Experience Panel tomorrow at ScareLa.

Our hope is to get to ask the creators some questions from the community.

If you have any questions, and will be in attendance tomorrow please respond to this thread, with your name, and question.

Thanks, and hopefully will see some of you tomorrow.

Jon

Profile photo of Melissa
    Melissa

Hey @jonathanscarela

Two part question: Does The Tension Experience plan on doing this again after the Ascension event is over? If so, will there be a new Tension Experience -or- a continuation of the Experience that is occurring right now?

Also, we have been told by Tension that we are in part the Experience, got any questions for Us?

Melissa

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Melissa Melissa. Reason: adding my name
    Profile photo of Michael Rizzo
    Michael Rizzo
    Participant

Hey!

So we’ve all been immersed in this super detailed narrative, and was wondering how much of it (if any), will be incorporated into Ascension? Will it be more so just little nods that we would understand or is there a chance of full on scenes that tie into the past few months? And will our individual team allegiance be factored into it?
    Thank you!
    Michael Rizzo

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

Heya, Im Max.

Two questions,
    1. How does Tension intend to stand out from other haunts and immersive theatre?
    2. Phone calls, shoutouts, visits and other personalized events are, in my opinion, a strong suit of Tension. Will Ascension goers be able to experience these as they prepare to visit?

Profile photo of Daela
    Daela
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Not a question for the Q&A, just a question for you. I know Tension was being moved to a larger room tomorrow. Is Second Stage the updated location, or the original location?

JonathanScareLA
    Participant

Hi @daela, actually I am not sure. I think, and I might be wrong, Tension requested to only allow 100 people in. I’m guessing a room this small didn’t exist so they were just placed in the smallest convention room. Again, I do not know, but guessing.

Profile photo of TinNose
    TinNose
    Participant

I just bought a ticket to ScareLA! Hoping to attend the Tension Experience event tomorrow. Would love to meet up with some of you during the day, if I can’t make the mixer. I’m @Sumupid on Twitter, if anyone wants to communicate!

JonathanScareLA
    Participant

Last chance Party People. Any questions for Tension?

Profile photo of Susie J
      Susie J
      Participant

Boxers, briefs or commando? *just kidding*

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

One more!

3. Will long-distance interactions continue? It is certainly meaningful to those who cannot attend Ascencion.

Profile photo of Blondie
      Blondie
      Participant

@atticus360 Most definitely meaningful! Thanks for asking that question boo :-)

I hope you’ll entertain my question despite the fact that I cannot attend. I’ve given my invite to @irishalliwell120 to attend in my stead:

1. What is the biggest problem that has been faced with Tension so far?
    2. What is the biggest regret that Tension has in relation to the Experience so far?

Profile photo of Amie
    Amie
    Participant

I’ve been off the forum most of the day, making my way down to Pasadena! Hopefully I’m not too late. I can’t even really think of anything but I’m Amie and we’ve been told again and again that this experience will only get darker. How much darker?

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

Been a little busy since Wednesday, so haven’t really been able to post, but have been keeping up with all the action and looking forward to seeing everyone at the panel in a few!

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

I’m scared I’m not gonna get in in time! I just managed to get in line, and it’s so long! I don’t want to miss this!

Profile photo of Addison Born
      Addison Born
      Participant

Same. This line isn’t moving…

Profile photo of Ezi
    Ezi
    Participant

I asked one of the guys and he says their holding it back, but I’m so scared I’m gonna miss it after comming all this way.

Addison Born
    Participant

Hey anyone looking at this – as long as you have a wristband it seems you can skip the main building and just go to the other building where the second stage is.

Just need a wristband and they’ll let you in, panel is down the stairs and near the back corner. As of 11:33 it has not started yet.

Addison Born
    Participant

Tom is back. Shit went down at the panel

Profile photo of
      Anonymous

I wish I could of made it!

Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

I hope we can get the answers on the forums later.

Profile photo of Chris424
    Chris424
    Participant

Who was that say that tension is a cult?
    He seemed pretty crazy himself?

Profile photo of TinNose
    TinNose
    Participant

I sat in the back, two rows behind Daddison. I hadn’t met him before so I didn’t recognize him, but I could tell as soon as I sat down that he was up to something. Wearing sunglasses in a dark room and holding photographs of, what was later to be revealed, Addison.

There was a second strange person in the room, I’m not sure everybody noticed. He had a hat, a coat, and sunglasses. He sat slouched, barely lifting his head. I spent most of the panel watching and waiting for him to do something but he didn’t. As soon as the event ended, he ran out of the room.

I think I may have misidentified the lurker above us as him…

I don’t know who that mystery man is, but I’m into him…

@tinnose: “Broken nose,” jacket and hat, ruling and sitting near the entrance door? If so, I believe the mystery man you speak of was Buz Wallick.

By the way Clay, I’m sorry I never got to reply to your Tweet. I’m not much of a tweeter, but I am so glad you persisted and got yourself into the event :)

Profile photo of MColyard
    MColyard
    Participant

Can someone tell us about the event?

Profile photo of _Michael Gray
    _Michael Gray
    Participant

So I was there in attendance for the Tension panel and WOW!!! The mystery man @ellisgordon showed up and broke down the 4th wall about his inspiration for starting Tension. Apparently he found an old piece of paper from his great grandfathers possessions. This piece of paper was from The Church of Anoch, so although Tension is a game created by @ellisgordon, we still have the issue of “the church” of being real?? Crazy mind fuckery today…
    Also as well, BoS… You came in once again and hijacked our meeting. You also posted a video with a message to us during this panel, but unfortunately with all the chaos going down, sorry to say but your message was not heard by myself, and many, many others. You want to deliver a message to us?? You want to interrupt the Tension panel? Give us your message then, out in the open, so we can receive it. I hope all of you that were at this panel will speak up about this BoS video, and hopefully it will find our way to us. Might I suggest giving it to a new BoS recruit to see if they will share your word?

Profile photo of ReidV
      ReidV
      Participant

@kingkill33 is right, if Sentinel wishes to step out of the shadows, let’s see a new recuit host the video!

A someone who’s pledged BoS, I’m extremely curious what this video was. I wasn’t there to see it but very much want to

Profile photo of Michael Rizzo
      Michael Rizzo
      Participant

The video was much needed and shed light on a certain tension visionary in a spectacular way. However, I must agree for once with an apostle, as the video should be brought to the public. With the commotion and yelling going on, the beginning was unfortunately lost in the action.

Profile photo of Ezi
      Ezi
      Participant

Since I’m basically still on the fence, I am trying to get perspective on both sides, with some gained of the OOA at the panel, but was also not able to hear much of the BoS video (over Tom shouting for us to pay attention to the BoS video). So would also like to get a look at it!

Profile photo of creepsociety
    creepsociety
    Participant

Was able to view the panel and holy shit. So jealous I wasn’t able to attend! So awesome!

Profile photo of ReidV
    ReidV
    Participant

From Tom Barrow. @gatekeeper2 bring back any memories?

Profile photo of Cody
      Cody
      Participant

So I take it gk2 was not in attendance then? No chance to scream CARLOS!?

This photo you’ve posted @atticus360 was definitely one of the ones in the fairly large stack of photos I looked through in Tom & Margaret’s hotel room. The other photo I saw that Tom was passing through the audience was one of Addison (“@gatekeeper2”) slitting @gatekeeper4‘s throat.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

What a way to start off a day! I’d like to thank Ellis for inviting a few of us up to talk about our experience. It was a really cool gesture from you guys. It was also cool to see some people from behind the curtain. And Tension creepin on us and taking our picture later in the day, well played :)

About the video – one of the things I heard in it was how the OOA is in the shadows, which is ironic since the person saying that was…in the shadows, hiding his face and altering his voice. If you want to remain in secret, fine, but don’t call people out when you’re doing the same thing. I couldn’t hear much because Tom (again) disrupted an event and was yelling over the video. So I think we’re all in agreement that BoS should release that somehow (even though it may be made out of ignorance). I know I saw quite a few of our pictures in there and head shots of people that are supposedly behind this, as well as Ellis’ “real” Facebook profile.

Back to Tom, you criticized the people there. You say you reached out to many people and they did nothing. I don’t know how many you really reached out to, but I know of 2 people who did what all they could to help. So you can scream all you want, but the same people that have helped you, I doubt would want to now after yesterday. You have/had support all along by many here and then you come in like a whirlwind at the most inopportune times and will possibly lose that support.

Atticus – I get the feeling Four learned much from you. I see similarities in your attitude. Nice to see you as I’ve been aware of you for quite some time.

Also of note, there was a woman behind me who stood up and said they’re frauds and and a joke and that her brother joined in Oklahoma.

Solid panel overall and it was really cool to hear how the idea for this came about. I’m going to hit a thrift store up to try and find desks with secret panels now.

Profile photo of Andrew Kasch
      Andrew Kasch
      Participant

I’m glad I’m not the only one who saw the extreme irony of Sentinel accusing the OOA of “hiding” while posting a video of themselves literally hiding in the shadows.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Oh and @jonathanscarela – thank you for leading the panel. You made things pretty hilarious :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

For those of us not there, can anyone provide a summary of the entire thing? Were any of the above questions answered?

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

Good morning! Now that my sleep cycle is completed, here is my account:

First, there was a lot of anxiety about gaining entrance on time due to the fact that ScareLA had some kind of Rube Goldberg-esque system in place for everyone to get their credentials before opening up the convention. By 11:20 am we were barely getting our wristbands and definitely feeling the TENSION of making it to the panel on time. Hustling over to the location we saw many familiar faces and once we made it to the meeting room it was actually kind of surprising and very heartening to see how many people we had become friends with and a physical approximation of the community that has coelesced due to this singular experience.

We seated ourselves after the smiles, hugs and hellos. On the stage five directors chairs were illuminated and presently Jonathan appeared and called up @reaton, @mike (Font-a-een), @electrichippo & @kasch. I sighed inwardly thinking that this was the feint Tension was going to use to remain hidden from us, but I was simultaneously glad to see that my friends were able to weigh in and represent the experience from the perspective of the participants. For the few who were just now being introduced to the Tension Experience a finer panel could not have been assembled to represent. Generic background questions were asked concerning when the experience launched and what events had the individuals undergone all of which has also been covered in various articles (Blumhouse) and podcasts (My Haunt Life). The first panel members were dismissed and one of the promotional videos for Tension was played.

Then Jonathan introduced the impresario and creator of the Tension Experience, Ellis Gordon. A young man seated in the crowd sprung up and amidst the applause took to the stage. He explained that he had done experimental theater in New York and wanted to try something wholly new. You have to forgive my vagueness during this section as my attention was being pulled in several different directions at this point. I noticed that there was an older couple seated in the front row and the gentleman seemed agitated by what Ellis was saying, at one point springing up from his seat only to be pulled back down by the woman who seemed to placate him or counsel him to remain calm. Jonathan asked questions gathered from the forums, one of @rizzooooooo’s (sorry if the tag didn’t work, I can’t remember how many o’s are in it). One of the questions was “Where did the idea for all of this come from?” (To paraphrase) Ellis explained that his great-grandfather had passed away and his grandfather was selling off some of the personal effects. Ellis was moving an old desk to this purpose when he found a secret compartment which held a document. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a page of what is most like from the Book of Anoch. He explained that the Church of Anoch (at this, the old couple made a gesture of supplication) was a real thing and this spawned his idea of creating an experience around a shadowy mysterious cult. At this point, another older gentleman, who had been sitting next to Ellis in the audience, stood up and loudly proclaimed, “It is not a cult. It is an organization.” Bewildered silence.

After a moment, Ellis introduced this man as his cowriter and actor, Atticus (can’t remember the last name because I was reeling). He mounted the stage with a presence and command that young Ellis lacked and though he was presented as second fiddle, the body language clearly indicated his hand was firmly planted up Ellis’s rear and Gordon was the meat puppet. The couple from the front row were also summoned and introduced as “actors” and so the dynamics of the panel shifted as the authoritarian attitudes of the three overtook and blotted out the thin idea that Ellis was in control of anything.

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

@jonathanscarela valiantly tried to maintain the panel structure and continued to ask questions gathered from the forums. Now, I have to take a moment to explain myself to those that were in attendance. At this point, it was clear that we were all strapped in for a ride. I came thinking this was going to be an actual panel with actual interaction and I had made some bracelets that I wanted to give as a gift to the actual creators of this thing I have been sucked into for at least five months now. I sensed a window of opportunity closing and so each time Jonathan paused to say “Let’s take a question from the audience.” My hand shot up. Assiduous eye-contact avoidance ensued. Next time, I stood up with my hand up. Nothing. Okay, how about jumping with my hand up. Nope. Finally, I just said (audibly) “Fuck it.” And sidled up to the front row of seats and planted myself very obviously there amidst the giggles and waited for the next opportunity. And I’m kind of glad I did. But I realize now how it must have looked. One, I’m crazy. Two, that I might have been secretly charged with a task. (Nope, I’m just an awkward, excitable motherfucker). Three, in light of Ellis’s recent post concerning the machinations behind the curtain I totally looked like a nut that might have tried to strangle a member of the OOA if I could just get close enough (no offense @thebuz, I wish I had known. I woulda given you a hug). So I would like to apologize to everyone for being mildly disruptive and probably causing a few pairs of buttocks to clench. My bad!

Thank you @monkeymuffin333! Excellent account, as usual. I’ll fill in this one blank: He was introduced as “Atticus Gordon.” What’s with all the Gordons?!

All I’d like to add at this time is, the presentation seemed to have a very definite vibe of casting doubt on the trustworthiness and motives of The Experience. Before anyone gets all up in arms ( @kasch & @mike 😉 ) this was told to my by several Apostles without any coaxing whatsoever by BOS.

Spending time with all of you, my Tension friends, was what made the day so special for me. Love you guys immensely.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks so much Susie! I really appreciate it.

Profile photo of Lucus
    Lucus
    Participant

Yes, thanks Susie. I’ve been anxiously waiting.

Profile photo of Blondie
    Blondie
    Participant

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has shared their experience at ScareLA, for the pictures and videos… it allowed me to feel involved and so much closer to you all despite the distance <3

Profile photo of DimStyle
      DimStyle
      Participant

@blondiecamps same here. Like you, I felt like the only kid in the class left out of the birthday party.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Profile photo of Susie J
    Susie J
    Participant

Okay, I’m back. While I was bumbling through my shenanigans, Atticus (Possibly Ellis’s father? Hmmm) was firmly establishing that the Church of Anoch (supplicating gesture by the other two) is not a cult, it is an organization that can help make you a better you. A blonde woman stood up in the audience and stated that her brother took part in this “game” two years ago in Oklahoma and was never heard from again. “This is BULLSHIT!” she yelled as she tore off her ScareLA wristband and stormed out.

@jonathanscarela was clearly at a loss as to how to salvage the panel but Atticus bulldozed onward and the other gentleman would aggressively warn Jonathan not to interrupt or correct Atticus when he nervously tried to interject or ask for clarification. At one point the woman quietly shared that she was once like us, lost and sad but then she found the OOA and she was inestimably better for it. Then Trista appeared from the audience and said that she was an actress and would love to “have a taste” of what the OOA was all about. The woman in her sweet pink sweater smiled as she rose and tenderly led Trista by her arm behind the black curtain. At this point I had scuttled to the front row and noticed some of the panel mark my movement and ignore it. A few minutes later a scream erupted into the auditorium and Trista burst disheveled from the curtain, yelling “What the fuck is this?!” and she ran out as the older woman serenely emerged with a knowing satisfied smile and retook her seat on the stage.

Then another fellow from the audience rose, taking off his baseball cap and sunglasses and revealed himself to be Thomas Barrow. His righteous anger unleashed, he stated that he lost his loved one too. He threw pictures of the Barrow family at members of the audience as well as of Addison murdering ~four. He admonished us for being assholes the last time he beseeched us for help (granted his approach could use some work). We supported the transformation of his daughter into a “monster” which is an assertion I would challenge. I mean doesn’t ANYONE think Addison had a heart and brain to choose for herself at any point at all? Anyhow, the panel erupted into chaos and the lights went out as the Sentinel video was projected. Tom was screaming for us all to pay attention while Ellis and/or Atticus yelled for the AV guy to cut it off. At some point I ran up to Ellis in the dark and tried to hand him the bracelets but he fled (completely understandable, my timing is for shit). Then the video ended the lights came up and we sat stunned for a moment before absorbing that that was it and exiting the auditorium. I took the opportunity to sneak over to where Tom Barrow had abandoned his hat and sunglasses and deposited the bracelets in his hat where I noticed a name written inside.

Outside we convened to discuss and spotted Trista who was still extremely shaken up. I did not hear her account directly but she related that the woman escorted her to a red room where she was shown pictures of herself in her apartment and clearly under detailed surveillance. I spotted Atticus standing alone a little ways off. I tip-toed over to tell him I had left a gift in the auditorium and he seemed very uncomfortable. He told me Ellis would be the one to talk to about that. I handed him a homemade pamphlet and he said “I’m not a people person” so I turned to take my leave and realized a cautious crowd had formed behind me. We respectfully dispersed and yelled at two guys who looked like they were observing us from the upper level but turned out to be from the Alone haunt who were innocently texting friends. Whoops.

And that was that. The only other interesting Tension related incident of note was the photo that was surreptitiously taken of a small group of us outside and posted on the social media. Photo ninjas, man. Amirite?

The entire episode once again raises more questions and gives us more pieces of the puzzle to try in one position or another. Is this the OOA showing their hand at using this organization as a front to recruit and fill ranks? Is Ellis being forced to pose as a haunt runner on behalf of a family legacy? These are topics possibly for another thread. All I know is that I am glad I went. I was happy to see so many of my Tension fam (including those that have migrated to the “other side”). I loved meeting Ezi and Kim and Amy. I loved the hotdogs, I loved sampling the other creepy offerings of ScareLA and seeing other friends I know through various other circles (shout outs to Alone, Zombie Joe’s and Heretic).

And that’s my story. I’m sticking to it.

Profile photo of Mustafa Said
    Mustafa Said
    Participant

Lots of interesting stuff to think about.

I was rewatching the vid and noticed that Tom was freaking out at certain points during the video being played. He was asking once, “What the fuck is this video?” and then when Ellis Gordon was possibly outed as an actor he began to freak out, screaming “Turn it off!”

Tom was the one who had told the video to be played. Now he’s surprised at what he saw? Did he expect something else to happen?

Anyone here who supports the BOS might as well deliver this message to Sentinel:

Release the video. Let the world hear and see it. Maybe, if you’re lucky, it’ll sway some hearts and minds towards your cause. Why not do it then, in the hopes of swelling up your ranks against the OOA?

Profile photo of AH-lay
      AH-lay
      Participant

The one freaking out was not Tom, it appears it was Ellis. The one saying to “pay attention” was Tom.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of AH-lay AH-lay.
      Profile photo of Mustafa Said
      Mustafa Said
      Participant

huh. thought it was Tom’s voice, not Ellis. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Profile photo of prufrock5150
    prufrock5150
    Participant

The woman who stood and decried the OOA as “frauds” happened to be sitting right next to me. Her question was introduced as having been submitted by one Macy Hoffman (perhaps spelled “Macie” because of the misreading as “Marcie,” which Jonathan was roundly disabused as having the gumption to correct Atticus on). Speaking to her briefly before the event as we were negotiating seating, she seemed sort of put-off and nervous, and now I understand why: her brother, she loudly exclaimed, was involved with the OOA “a couple of years back when [they] were in Oklahoma.” This raises even further questions about the wide-reaching influence of our beloved not-a-cult: first, was Macy/Macie Hoffman her real name? What was the fate of her brother? Why can’t he speak on his own behalf? The fact that she ripped off her wristband (which allowed her entrance to Scare LA) and summarily left directly after the event leads me to think that whatever happened in Oklahoma clearly doesn’t seem to be OK…

Profile photo of _Michael Gray
    _Michael Gray
    Participant

Something else that I find funny and not consistent with the panel events… As we entered the hall, we were told not to sit in the first 2 rows. We all respected that request except for two older people. During my running back and forth to say hello to everyone, I was sitting next to them talking to @electrichippo and @mkarrett, I asked these older two people if they were with the OOA and why they were sitting in reserved seats. They told me they weren’t with the OOA and played off their sitting in reserved seats. Mind you, I was wearing my OOA shirt, if they were from the OOA, I find it a bit hard that they wouldn’t have a small discussion with me, but seems they are very protective of who they talk to and what they say.

Just a fun extra tidbit from what my experience from the panel was.

Profile photo of Melissa
      Melissa

I know who your referring too. I’m sure I’m not the only one that spotted those two stretching their arms out, head down, saying “Glory Be” anytime Anoch was mentioned. Ya, why hide your affiliation?

:-/

Profile photo of Neil King
      Neil King
      Participant

The first two rows thing is because the first two rows were saved for Fear Freak passes. They paid extra to get front of the line and those first two rows. I did find it odd but after talking with Brian that is what that was about.

ALSO I have a theory that I am going to bring up to the forums but I am going to start a new post in the Theories sub categories so please head over there to discuss.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register